Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 11:57 PM   #1
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I knew this game was fairly high level, but this is just out of control. I'm only on Chapter 2 and I think I'm ready to call it quits. I just got done control-Y-ing my way through the Planar Sphere, and I am enormously disappointed. Perhaps I'm too used to old pen&paper D&D when monsters weren't trying to disintegrate me left and right. Am I the only one who finds BGII a little excessive? I like a challenge as much as anyone else, but this borders on cartoon. Fighting packs of 5 golems at once is just silly.

I have such a ridiculous amount of magic items that I'm selling unique treasures to The Adventurer's Mart, because I just can't carry anymore. Someone please tell me the game settles down a bit in Chapter 3. Maybe I'm a little too old-school...I think D&D is best from levels 3-12. After that, things get out of hand, and BGII is no exception.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:05 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioClash:
I knew this game was fairly high level, but this is just out of control. I'm only on Chapter 2 and I think I'm ready to call it quits. I just got done control-Y-ing my way through the Planar Sphere, and I am enormously disappointed. Perhaps I'm too used to old pen&paper D&D when monsters weren't trying to disintegrate me left and right. Am I the only one who finds BGII a little excessive? I like a challenge as much as anyone else, but this borders on cartoon. Fighting packs of 5 golems at once is just silly.

I have such a ridiculous amount of magic items that I'm selling unique treasures to The Adventurer's Mart, because I just can't carry anymore. Someone please tell me the game settles down a bit in Chapter 3. Maybe I'm a little too old-school...I think D&D is best from levels 3-12. After that, things get out of hand, and BGII is no exception.

you are too old school, old hag. thiz be no AD&D, gotit? thiz iz BALDUR'SH GATE!!! NO FLEAKING AD&D!! ME IZ TELLIN YOU SHO YOU LISTEN!!!

lol, anyway, it is ridiculous, think about it, most people reach from lvl 7 to lvl 20 in about FOURTY game days, what is that? that is definately not AD&D .

Old 04-05-2001, 12:09 AM   #3
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just figured with all the hype and the official license, and with the implementation of real Forgotten Realms characters and rules, the game would have been less...video game-y. Oh well, into the dustbin with the rest.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:17 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

I know exactly what you mean, RadioClash. The last time I played through the old pen-and-paper modules set in the Bloodstone Pass (been a while since I had tea with Zhengyi; I think I'll drop by and see how he's doing) the only worthwhile things I did were 1) tickle Tiamat under her chin (no fooling) and 2) give Orcus' wand to our paladin. *zzzt*

Seriously, though, the original BG will get you up to 7th level, ToTSC will get you to maybe 9th, IWD will take you to 12th, and HOW will get you to 15th (or up above 30th, if you're masochistic enough to tackle the Heart of Fury....)

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-05-2001, 12:22 AM   #5
sirgwayne

Radio clash,
this is by far the best game I've ever played.It's not to hard and not an
overkill considering where you are in the game.You more than likely have the
ability to handle most fights it's all in the technique's you use.frustration
sets in on some fights for all of us but thats why you just dig in and whoop!
some tale. I'm a competitior at heart and love a good challenge.I've played
many games both on paper & pc. but dude this game ROCK'S!! and by the way
if you really want to know if 5 golems against a party of 6 is fair or
realistic I would have to say 6is more than 5.. and I also have to say
I hate those stinking golems myself!! HAHA!!!

------------------

Walk lightly my friend.

Old 04-05-2001, 12:27 AM   #6
Chai
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Acutally, the challenge level of the game is generally correct proportionate to the levels involved. At 16 your characters are already much higher level than most of the famous protagninists in the forgotten realms, and just think of the crazy stuff they accomplish . The learning curve is quick, so I'd recommend you stay with it for a bit and not cheat before throwing it out. The first time I went through Nalias keep on easy I could barely kill any of the trolls and thought it was impossible. Two weeks later I was able to kill all the trolls and all the golems(including the iron golem) on the highest difficulty level with an incomplete party without cheating. You may want to try changing the difficulty slider also, it really does help dramatically.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:33 AM   #7
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Too much of a challenge, Well my dear Sir stop playing now, I love BG2, without the challenge it would just be Crap, for lack of a better word and No it dosent get any easier. But Hell if you need any help your in the right place !

Cheers

------------------
Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 04-05-2001, 12:35 AM   #8
BG2SOA

This is game is not so hard after you learn how to play it.Don't give up so fast.

------------------

Don't mess with the Lich
Old 04-05-2001, 02:09 AM   #9
Cayle
The Magister

I have to agree with RadioClash here. I do not think his problem is with the level of difficulty, but with the monty haul nature of BGII. Yeah sure, everything is tough at first (it is high level after all), but then we get all of these powerful magic items and it starts to loose its challenge. The only problem is that you actually NEED these things on rare occasions, so you can’t just throw them away (eg. When the game scales encounters to your XP level and throws adamantine sp? Golems at you).

When you have the ring of Gaxx, the spell turning cloak, the holy avenger, crom feyr (com on!), the staff of the magi etc. it gets ridiculous. Individually they are cool, fun to have, give a sense of reward at the end of a tough encounter of quest (except the cloak) and give you something special. Together they are overkill.

I am sure this happens very often in PnP (I have committed this offense as a DM myself) as well. The designers understood this in part and did not allow us to bring our stuff over from BG I, although I think spiderbane and the ankheg plate mail are mickey mouse in comparison.

Although it is fun to play a high level MU, I still think that low and mid level are the most fun as well.

------------------
- Cayle
Old 04-05-2001, 04:28 AM   #10
Altranan
Dungeon Master

I understand that you feel the game lacks realism or something for you, but remember many people have completed it many times on many different levels with many different characters without having to use ctrl-y.
Just relax, take your time and plan a strategy.