Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 12:42 PM   #1
ralph
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I wanted to do evil.. but it doesn't seem worth it. I mean... to be evil... you're basically cutting out alot of quests because they are quests for good-doers... and then no matter how GREAT of an evil player you are... you gonna get chased around by those radiant knights and cowled wizards cause your rep is too low.

what are the benefits of playing evil? less exp? no thanks..

Any advice on what's the best evil party to make? should it include those nuetral chars or no? Cause they get unhappy at around 6 rep.

thanks for the advice... i just really want an overview on how to play evil.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

Evil parties are mostly for roleplaying. Yeah, there's less EXP and items, but it's a lot more fun being bitter to everyone, eh? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I don't see the point in playing an evil party, then just doing all good deeds just for the better items (even when there's an evil way of finishing the quest) and having a very high rep. That's boring and powergamish.
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:09 PM   #3
fable
Quintesson

It sounds like what you're describing is an "evil" party where "evil" means working against the legal interests of the various communities. You're right, there's not much of that in BG2 (though you can kill the dragon in the Underdark, slay the elves protecting the pass, etc). But if get a very low rep, you naturally have to expect shopkeepers to close their doors, and guards to attack you. The benefits of evil rampaging are certain powerful choices in Hell, and lots of experience and loot (not limited to only the other evil folks you kill).

BG2 sees evil more in terms of self-interest. For example:

Korgan doesn't mind doing things that help others, provided the party gets some material wealth out of the matter at the end. (In fact, I wish they'd stressed this more. His own quest does it, and he talks about it, but I'd love to see him belabor you if an entire quest yielded less wealth than he would have liked.)

Edwin just wants powerful artifacts and spells that will raise him to his rightful place as a ruler among the Red Mages. His quest is very item-specific, as a result.

Saverok (in ToB) wants to join you because he loves rampaging, cruelty, violence, etc, and you seem to bring that in your wake. His selfishness consists in satisfying his gluttony for brutality.

Or as Brenda Garno once put it in a Wizardry manual, many years ago: A good party will help a little old lady cross the street. A neutral party will do it if they're going the same way. An evil party will do it, if they're paid enough.

If you want to take the evil-against-society tack, I suggest you play Fallout 1 & 2, and Arcanum. These games let you choose whether to achieve your final goal while being a World Savior or the World's Number One Badd*ss. In one of my Arcanum run-throughs with a neutral magic-casting elf leading my party, I was actually approached by a member of a local thieves guild (which was a game element that hadn't even been mentioned, except as a joke, before then) who wanted me to run a mission of theft in exchange for a series of valuable maps and future missions. Priceless fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:08 AM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

Ralph ... your idea of "playing evil" is not the only way to roleplay evil. You are assuming that "playing evil" means to essentially be some sort of maddog killer that ends up having a low REP and is attacked on sight by the authorities.

There are other, more subtle ways to play evil. For example, you can do "good" things, but always for a price. You can act like a thug, but keep a high REP by going to temples and buying yourself a good REP.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:33 PM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

*to the mods I apologize, I know this shouldn't be here*

As a holy paladin I cannot sit Idly by and watch this instruction course on evil, the good way is the only way if you want to succeed and not meet the pointy end of my sword, and if that fails to frighten the naughtiness out of you then you shall meet the almighty Boo, and his pet Minsc who shall liberally kick the butt's of evildoers everywhere.

seriously tho If you want a d&d game by Bioware (same engine) then I suggest Planescape Torment, There is alot of really spiffy Items you can only get by being evil, there's even a book that gives you spells for committing evil against your own party, kill a party member, sell one into slavery, etc, and it is alot of fun
Old 01-11-2002, 03:36 PM   #6
melancholic_goat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

this is a bit cheesy, but in BGI where true evil is next to impossible, this was my route...

a) get an evil party
b) procede as usual for a good party
c) when rep raises too high and party begins to moan, quietly kill an innocent peasant. Voila, -10 rep
d) if rep is so low you are hunted, go to temple and donate tog et rep to 6.
e) repeat stages c + d whenever necessary.

Its worth the donation costs... evil NPC's can mop the floor with the wimpish Aerie, Anomen, etc.
Come on, face it... who would you rather have, a girl like Aerie, or a girl like Viconia? Hmmmmm?
Old 01-12-2002, 12:17 AM   #7
Psycho Dude the squirrel spanker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

heck i like playing good partys, arie is my most powerful of my twomages and could wipe the floor with any drow at the moment vicona didnt seem to help a bit when i had her, her and jerina(who got her self disintagrated) but heck right now im haveing a blast being the good guys, but being evil might seem intresting... (im chaotic nuetral)
Old 01-12-2002, 01:39 AM   #8
StarVid
Elminster

If you want to be evil, here is my best advice. Go to the computer game store. Buy Fallout and Fallout 2. Be a slave trader. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2002, 06:18 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Or click here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:28 PM   #10
Phantom of might and magic
Dungeon Master

Bwahahahahahaha!!!
Nice link Memnoch

Anomen:
This haughty, self-righteous twit is worth little to an evil party. You should lie about being good to get him in your party, and then use him as fodder or a pack mule until he becomes unhappy. At that point, see that he has an "accident" and loot his unfortunate body. Until then, he makes a good fighter/cleric.

Aerie:
This whiny, sobbing bag of issues was once an Avariel, a race of winged elves. When she was captured, her wings were clipped. Boo hoo. She's lawful good, and whines more than your grandmother for prunes, so leave her in the circus tent where you find her. Or better yet, kill her when she is an ogre.

Nalia:
Nalia is a mistaken little rich girl, who thinks giving alms to the poor is better than buying herself new things. She thinks she knows what good is. Take advantage of her and wring her for everything she's worth. She won't be all that happy in your party, so do her quest, and get a reward out of it. If your protagonist is a fighter, take her castle, and then squeeze the peasantry for money.

Viconia:
...If you play your cards right, you can get her in the sack (If you are playing a male protagonist)! Don't piss her off too much, though, or you'll have to tell her you love her. Failing to do that will lose her forever.

Keldorn:
This paladin is to be respected for his usefulness, at least until he gets angry at the party's alignment. Use him to solve the Unseeing Eye quest; by the end he'll probably be unhappy with your evil party. When he gets unhappy, that's your cue to use him as fodder, loot his corpse and be merrily on your way.

Mazzy: ...She'll never be happy in an evil party, so we suggest using her until she becomes unhappy, then feeding her to the Shades.

Those were funny like hell

HAHAHAhahahahahahaaaaaaa.....
BTW i never knew that u can KILL hendak and get money instead of saving him.