Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Panache
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Having had a brief scan through this board, I can't help noticing how simillar a lot of the parties people create are. Bishops, ninjas, mook rangers, bards lizard fighters - great, hard as nails. But I'm interested to know what other parties people have tried. Solo parties sound fun, as do random ones. What's the most interesting combination people have come up with? I've been roaming the lands with a mage / psyonisist / alchemist / priest party. Interesting indeed, although I have to say often rather messy! Needless to say I've been puting a lot of points into speed, Rincewind style...
Anyone ever tried a party of incompetent fools - Lizard bishop, Dwarf Ninja, Fairy fighter, Rawulf mage, Gnome Valkyrie?
Old 02-12-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

I've started the game many times, and finished it several times. I try to use different parties, but not incompetent ones (since i usually play ironman nowadays)

Some of my parties (note: i don't use RPCs, except in very specific parties):

'Standard': 3 melee guys (fighter, monk, samurai), 2 casters, and bard or ranger

'Simple Professions': Fighter, Thief, Bard (music only), Ranger (shooting only, no spells learned), priest, mage

'Brute force': 3 fighters + 1 bishop

'Pure Spellcasters': mage, alchemist, priset, psionic, + 1 bishop
(in hard settings, you need two casters with guardian angel/stone skin and such)

'Spellcasters': Fighter, mage, priest, alchemist, psionic
(this one was ironman. I needed the fighter to keep enemy fighters out of melee range)

'Rangestrike': Fighter (as tank), ranger, gadgeteer, bard (music + shooting), mage, bishop

'Hybrids only': Valkyrie, Samurai, Monk, Ninja
Several tries with this or similar parties, either melee-oriented, spell-oriented, or mixed. Most fun was the game where they all went for powercast first. Very hard start, but very strong at level 20+). All used short + extended weapons(polearm/mauler+DE, Giant Sword/Fang+ench.wakazashi, zatochi bo/hand&feet, throwing/hand&feet), and spells for range.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I usually create a fighter, ranger, bishop, priest, samurai and bard.

I also like this paryt = 6 bishop.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Two other parties:

'Duo': Fighter + Bishop. Suprisingly easy later, but too hard at start for ironman.

'Infinity casters': Priest, Mage, Alchemist. Plus Fighter (tank), Gadgeteer, Bard (music + missiles).
Played normally until level 11, then stopped taking levels.
When had enough experience, i switched the casters to Valkyrie, Ranger and Samurai, and leveled them up to 15. At this point, i had already purchased 3 sets of Infinity Helmet and Robes of Rejuvination.
I continued to play the characters as pure casters. No melee. But they had +6 spell point regeneration each. No need for resting, the spell points are regenerated fast after each fight.
[Why hold off levelling? They wouldn't be able to train their magic skills in the first 4 levels of their new profession]
Old 02-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
Panache
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Come on guys - have some imagination! I mean can nobody come up with a party that is interesting rather than just kicks butt?!
We all know about those bishops.... I'm talking different here... [img]redface.gif[/img] )
Old 02-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Well, i try to create parties that should be able to win the game. In ironman, you can't reload until your party of loosers manage to win a tough fight.

It is very hard to survive without early access to magic sceen, armorplate and elemental shield. I had quite a number of (ironman) parties without them, and only one managed to survive.

I usually prefer a mage and a priest to a bishop. They are far better in the early and middle game. But that are already 2 characters out of my usual 4-5 character group, so the parties would be very similar.
A bishop is much weaker early, but he allows me to add another different character.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I create my party so that I can have fun with the game. I didn't create it to please someone else.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:59 PM   #8
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Oddest party I made so far was lord, samurai, ranger, gadgetter, monk and bishop. The races being dwarf, hobbit, gnome, felpurr, elf and fairy respectivly. Too put it simply they died, a lot.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #9
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Well, this party is not weird but it has its challenges. I'm at level 9 and still lose many battles: Dracon Lord, Gnome Bard, Elf Bishop. I tend to slink a lot, run, and pick my battles (after trying to fight them with every trick in the book!) The Lord still usually misses with Bloodlust (sometime twice and with the poison dagger as well), the Bard has a big three instruments which work only half the time (although Mercucio's Blade does medium damage). The Bishop mainly holds her own now, has more close combat kills than the Bard. It's very strategy oriented when you have only three. Had to let one die to get to Trynnies...I couldn't get past the Sige and 5 Piercer Modai no matter how I tried. The only option was to retreat entirely and hope for new monsters after resting. I decided I wanted to get on with the game.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:23 PM   #10
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Oddest party I made so far was lord, samurai, ranger, gadgetter, monk and bishop.
Too put it simply they died, a lot.
Strange. 3 melee guys, 2 range guys, and a caster. Easy standard party for me. What was your problem? I only can imagine picking too many attack spells with the bishop, and not having the buff spells.