Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2002, 12:59 AM   #1
Joie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have installed the game on my P2 333 with 160 ram and a 3d 32 meg video card, latest drivers for video and sound and the game will install but defaults to the desktop when I try to load it to play. any help would be g reat. Thanks Joie
Joie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you run "3DSetup.exe" first? it sets up your video and sound for the game. without it, the game usually dumps you to the desktop like you describe.

V***V
Old 01-13-2002, 01:16 AM   #3
fable
Quintesson

You might also make sure you have nothing running in the background except the bare bones necessary to keep Windows happy: no screensaver, no address book, no atomic clock, etc. Do a CTRL+ALT+DEL *once* to see what you've got.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:49 AM   #4
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

Never heard of it just exitting... does it give ANY kind of error at all?
Old 01-13-2002, 05:02 PM   #5
Joie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

To all who replied - Thanks. to answer your questions, I have run the setup thingie and have played with the choices after autodetect. When it dumps me to the desktop it says something like the program has attempted something illegal and if the problem persist to contact the software manufacturer.
Pleases help. It sounds like a great game but I have added patches, uninstalled reinstalled so many times that I am getting frustrated. Regards, Joie
Old 01-14-2002, 12:53 AM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

you might want to go to the official tech support forums. they are pretty darned good about helping peeps and plenty of players pop on to help, also!

that link takes you directly to the forum for gameplay startup problems. it appears that the problem might be related to the Copy Protection. usually doing 2 things will help with that issue.

1) update the drivers for your cd rom drive by going to the manufacturer's site and downloading them to your pc, then installing them.
2) while there, look for a "firmware update" for your cdrom. a firmware update is specifically to make the cdrom drive compatible with different software, and for gamers it means working with all forms of copy protection.

* * * IMPORTANT UPDATE * * * IMPORTANT UPDATE * * * IMPORTANT UPDATE * * *

SirTech has released a revised patch that uses an alternate type of Copy Protection for peeps like you who can't start their game. Please be sure you uninstall the entire schmear and start from scratch one last time with this one, okay?

Official Alternate Patch 12_23

V***V

::hanging her head in shame, trying to hide from everyone:: OMG! did i just say "schmear"?? that's my gramma's word!!

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: vesselle ]

Old 01-14-2002, 03:12 AM   #7
Joie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks. Will try. Unfortunately I am not all that good with system stuff. Have installed the latest patch for the game ( I found a version 24) am now trying to find out what version firmware my CD ROM is. Thanks again. Joie