Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
rkb
Welcomed New User

In 1999 I bought Ultima 9. At that point my computer was a 450 PII. The game was unplayable. I boxed it up and put it away.

Time goes on.

I have been playing Wiz8 for the past two weeks. Now that my RPG spirit has been rejuvenated I have decided to install Ultima 9 on my new PC ( P4 1.9 512mb, Geforce3, XP) and give it a second chance. WOW!!!

Not only does the game run smooth. I have not had one crash yet.

The graphics are outstanding. Even by today’s standards.

Has anybody else given this game a second chance? As soon as I finish Wiz8 I will be playing U9.
rkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:27 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

OMG!! that's exactly what i did!!

i was so upset at having to wait forever for my copy of wiz8, that i pulled out the Avatar and started running thru Brittania. i just got to Yew when i got Wiz8.

it runs & looks great, too. only one thing, is that i have fallen thru walls or mountainsides 3 times. never mind, tho, not only do i save a lot, but i like seeing whats behind the scenes anyway. i am learning 3D modeling and level layout, so it was interesting to see how they laid out an area.

anyway, i plan on going back to it after i finish off wiz8. LOL. that's so funny and odd that you said that.

V***V

Old 12-03-2001, 10:47 PM   #3
Dajjer
The Magister

I tried the game on a pent 2 - 300 mhz and it did not run. It was returned

When I bought the game again (only cost 10 buck new) for my new Pent 4 / 1.4 ghz the game ran smooth. Grahic wise the game was ahead of its time. It was fun to play and I did finish the game. But sadly it was not an Ultima game in the spirit of the previous Ultima games.

I very much reminded me of the last Kings Quest game. fun to play but it too was not in the spirit of the previous Kings Quest games.
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:20 PM   #4
Morgalas Everhate
Dungeon Master

Vesselle must have played every CRPG on the planet !!! I've seen her on BG2 , Arcanum, and Wiz8 forums. Now she mentions playing U9. I'm sure she can filling in the long list of others she has played....

Good to see a die hard fan of RPG's Vesselle, you don't seem close minded about any game in particular, just simply spending a lot of time having fun!
Old 12-03-2001, 11:30 PM   #5
Werdna
Dungeon Master

I did the same! When I got it, I had a 300PII. It was pretty bad, I have to admit. But, being one of the older members of the Ultima Dragons, and an Ultima fanboi, I stuck it out and finished it, although I had to cheat to get through the mines due to framerate problems.
I just recently tried it on my PIII 1gz, and it works like a dream! As was said, however, it really wasn't in the "spirit" of the older ultimas. As a stand-alone it was great!
Wizardry and Ultima are 2 of the longest-running series out there (not counting some of the japanese imports), and as far as I'm concerned, they both had a great finale.
Hail Wizardry! Hail Ultima!
Now if only they'd get to work on Fallout III.....
Old 12-03-2001, 11:53 PM   #6
Absynthe

And here I thought I was all alone... I just got to the first face-to-face with the Guardian when Wiz8 came out. Had to take it off due to space limitations, but I also just bought a 40g drive and scsi card so I can put all my games on at once! Big difference from my original PII 400 w 64mb ram and now with a PIII 700 and 256mb ram. Love the game, even with a few (hundred)glitches.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:01 AM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

~~morgalas~~

WOW! i am SO busted!!
hey, it's great to see you here! come in, pull up a chair and join us by the monitor's light as we all enjoy this one together!

V***V
Old 12-04-2001, 05:50 PM   #8
Morgalas Everhate
Dungeon Master

Ah!!!! The warm humming glow of monitor light, so many wonderful long hours spent basking in its glow !!!

Its nice to share it with good folk too.
Thanks Vesselle
[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]