Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2001, 11:17 AM   #1
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

SPOILER SPACE

A few people asked about how to get high levels, and its pretty simple really. All I did was play the game a lot and turn the difficulty up! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The main place I stock up is in the one small room with the barred door that leads you back to near the start. There is a path leading up that will take you to the bridge. I hope that's not too confusing.

For some reason, tough monsters come out there (and elsewhere too). I just pick a corner and just keep camping, which keeps the characters healed up and then wait for some baddie to come.

One Emerald smile can give the party 6000+ exp each, 2 can give them twice that. You'll notice how big they are right away! There is also the metallic smile, a red smile with about 250-300 HP that isn't too strong but just tough. Also there are high level roaches, rats and other critters that are bigger and nastier than the weaker versions. You'll notice this when they disease your characters and do upward of 20 damage in a single hit. Also, watch out for Vampire Bats - usually not worth killing as they can drain your max HP and stamina, and I'm not sure how to cure this (your character will have a blood drop next to them, permanently which leads me to believe it can be cured). Its called the "Drained" status, and doesn't seem to affect anything else.

So, if you can get a battle where you can get 4000-10000 exp, eventually you'll get higher levels. Changing class can make the amount needed for level up to increase a lot too.

Right now all of my characters are level 10, and getting close to 11. I wouldnt suggest doing this, since its just a demo and a waste of time really! Its fun to learn about the game, but I'm more curious about what powers they will get and learning the game dynamics (like attacks and such).

Any other questions, just let me know. And do get Flicker's magic up ASAP. A few level 7 fireballs tend to help take out the high level foes quick and easily. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also, on that note, there seems to be a limit set in the demo about what spells you can get. I have Flicker's Wizardry up to almost 90, which should allow her to get high level spells, but she only can learn levels 1-3 it seems. Any ideas here?

Best,

Scronan
Old 11-05-2001, 11:37 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

There are a lot of limitations in the demo. I must admit that I am saving most of the stuff for the game, rather than be "spoiled" in the beginning. However, it is interesting to find out the type of critters one will be facing eventually.

Personally, I detest the starting party; it's the absolute antithesis of what I would have selected starting out, with the exception of a priest and a mage...no Felpurr or Rawulf (and I love "furries" for characters)...a FAERIE which I can't stand (sorry, Scronan, I know you love playing them, but...ECHH!) a LIZARDMAN which I've detested ever since Wiz 6 and after the demo was over I let him get killed off (heh heh), a monk which I normally would NEVER use...no Samurai, no Lord, no Valkyrie? I know it was just a demo, but I would have preferred them having a preset number of "rolled" characters from each race and/or profession and let us choose our starting party. So that's why I only played through twice and am putting it aside until the real game comes out.

Of course, those are just trifles...I absolutely LOVE the game itself and can't wait for the real game to come forth; the combat system is fairly intuitive, and once I got the hang of moving, I was shooting around there like a pro. The monsters are realistic, Barz (?) the little NPC you get to talk to on the ledge was hilarious in some of his responses (is he a rattkin? Looks like one!) So all in all, starting party notwithstanding, it looks like it's going to be a great game!!!

(I AM rolling my own party, though! Can't believe the party "tastes" of the designers, acck!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:21 PM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Saz,

Heh, yeah the starting party is quite the opposite of what I would have picked too! I've never had a Lizardman of any kind, I think Rangers have always been underpowered in just about every RPG I've ever seen, so I'd never pick one! I loved Flicker, but you know I have a soft spot for the Faeries and little green flying people! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hmm, I also would never picked a Bard, but Evenstar was a good choice as I really like both Ninjas and Monks. Ulf was good as a Priest, he's tough but the poor bloke couldn't hit the broad side of a castle. He has the worst accuracy in the entire game!

Normally even with a starting party, I'd play the re-roll the dice game and start with Samurai, Lord, and ah yes, FAERIE NINJA!

So, if I pull my Wiz 7 party over, I'll have:

Elven Lord
Gnome Valkyre
Felpurr Samurai
Rawulf Samurai
Faerie Monk
Faerie Ninja

I do like the furry types too! I really wanted to have a Mook in the party, I think Chewbacca would be a good name, heh! I may have to let one of the Faeries go (agh!) since they will more than likey start the game pretty weak anyway.

I don't know though, I got to like the starting party. Give Sslar a high powered sword (Claymore), then set him on Beserk and stand back! Now that he has two hits, there are not many creatures that can take even one shot from him. Of course, I have fun watching him splat roaches and rats for 50-60+ damage, but I'm a nutcase so its to be expected. [img]smile.gif[/img]

At any rate, I need to stop playing and just wait for the real thing, at which point the demo party will be worthless anyway!

Nice to hear from you, and I've changed my tune about this game...it is really cool! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best

Scronan
Old 11-05-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Cool, Scronan! Yep, I found I felt pretty much the same way. I may replay the demo, just for the halibut but end up starting over from the beginning rather than resting and waiting for monsters.

I'm wondering if that dungeon (the Abandoned Monastery) is the "starter" dungeon for Wiz 8...it seems VERY tough for the starter, in any case (a lot tougher than the Crypt in W&W and the small dungeon outside of New City in Wiz 7. But then, the game may adjust itself for new characters. Still, I'd hate to think of newbies going up against the likes of "Saffy"!

BTW, check your e-mail...I have an interesting proposal that you may be interested in.

Cheers,

Old 11-05-2001, 05:43 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Scronan:
Hi,

One Emerald smile can give the party 6000+ exp each, 2 can give them twice that. You'll notice how big they are right away! There is also the metallic smile, a red smile with about 250-300 HP that isn't too strong but just tough.

Um...Scronan, forgive me for asking, but do you mean "slime" instead of "smile"?

Cheers,

Old 11-06-2001, 12:34 AM   #6
Greystone
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I'm wondering if that dungeon (the Abandoned Monastery) is the "starter" dungeon for Wiz 8...

Actually, yes...in the "Documentation" file that came with the demo, they state the following:

"This demo includes a small section of the beginning of Wizardry 8. It is based on the first area that new players will explore in Wizardry 8. However, to give you a few more things to try out, we've upped your characters to level 5 and given them access to items and spells that level 1 characters normally wouldn't have.

There is a price to pay for getting all these cool goodies, though: this demo is much more dangerous than the start of the real game and as such you may find it more challenging than you would the actual beginning of Wizardry 8."

I am also enjoying this demo & REALLY looking forward to the actual game release. Hmmm...if the game sells enough copies, is there any chance at all for a sequel?

--Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 01:38 AM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Um...Scronan, forgive me for asking, but do you mean "slime" instead of "smile"?

Cheers,

Sazerac,

d'oh! I saw that after I posted it, but I didn't have time to edit it.

Ahem! Actually, an "Emerald Smile" is something the ancient Queen of Bolsheetsa was called, since she used to have a special tooth brush made of gold and emeralds.

So, after brushing up, she had an emerald smile. And ruby eye shadow, amethyst lips.....uhh....yea...and her husband was the King of Bolsheetsa, originally from the Realm of Isafolacrappi..

Ok, its definitely time for bed....

Best

Scronan
Old 11-06-2001, 03:01 AM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Scronan:
d'oh! I saw that after I posted it, but I didn't have time to edit it.

Ahem! Actually, an "Emerald Smile" is something the ancient Queen of Bolsheetsa was called, since she used to have a special tooth brush made of gold and emeralds.

So, after brushing up, she had an emerald smile. And ruby eye shadow, amethyst lips.....uhh....yea...and her husband was the King of Bolsheetsa, originally from the Realm of Isafolacrappi..

Ok, its definitely time for bed....

Best

Scronan

ROFL!!! Too funny! Well, when you posted that, I was doing my best envisioning what it was you meant, literally thinking of a "smile"...and picturing this huge, floating pair of metallic green Mick Jagger lip---nevermind.

Literally...that's the image I had...then for some reason it flipped in my mind and I saw "slime" instead of "smile" and then asked...

Thanks,

Old 11-07-2001, 04:01 PM   #9
vesselle
Hathor

LOL!

i think its right up there with "Safflower" or "Saffy" and should become the unofficial usage of the word!!

it really does conjure up all kinds of interesting images in ones' mind. ::slimes really big::

V***V