Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
hmm_huh_what
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, does anyone know where I can find a good program to easily create/texture walls for DC? I used EasyTex...worked fine except for the perspective, the side wall slots were off in size for some reason, and it was also a pain to seperate the sections and align them again, I think that in the next release there shouldn't be that devision and instead of being arranged as they are the slots should be side by side (as in the 1024 file "wallc1024" in default art)and maybe the capabilities of having animated overlays. I also had a suggestion the battle system: user-defined frame size for icons and user-defined amount of animation frames for icons (wouldn't we all just love to have an dragon who takes up half the screen
pmart93@bmi.net
Old 02-08-2002, 07:08 AM   #2
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

The combat icons can be as large as you want, as long as they are an even multiple of 48 pixels in both directions. When I was testing this last year, I used a dragon icon that was 8x8 squares (8x48=384 pixels across). Although there is no enforced limit on icon size, the 8x8 icon used up most of the screen.

DC supports multiple image formats. Some have side-by-side walls, while the oldest format has walls scattered around. You can use a different format in every slot, but all of the art in a single slot must be the same format.

EasyTex is about the best tool we have at the moment for creating new walls. Which mode were you using when some of the walls didn't line up correctly? (640, 800, 1024)
Old 02-08-2002, 04:31 PM   #3
hmm_huh_what
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1024, and it was the skewed walls that didn't line up/weren't the right size, the square front walls were though. EasyTex is great though, just needs that size fix (or maybe I did something wrong?) Good thing about the icon size, however for the normal attack icon frame count there should be more than 2 in my opinion, this is the only thing in DC that I was a bit dissapointed at (I have played most of the FRUA gold series, and it also bothered me a bit then)You said something about another version having Palette animation, I was thinking that an animated overlay could just be stored as a file with a bunch of progressive frames. I don't know much about programming but it doesn't sound too hard too do (or maybe just have it read animated gifs for directions?) I like how it can read so many file-types, esp mp3s~for movies though the next version maybe could recognize more formates than avi (esp for the new codex)such as .movs and .mpegs etc... Great progress, I love ya site and I love DC!
Old 02-11-2002, 01:46 PM   #4
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

Animated combat icons are one of the future enhancements on the list. It will take more time than I'm willing to spend on it right now, but after magic is fully functional I can work on this (among other things).

It's the old FRUA that uses palette color-cycling for some animations. DC will use the multiple frame approach, just line up your pics and DC will play them in sequence.

I'll have to give EasyTex a test run in 1024 mode and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:25 PM   #5
hmm_huh_what
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Great,...I found out what the problem was, the particular texture I was using had some black in it, in such a way it made the wall look like they weren't lined up/sized correctly, a really stupid mistake on my part lol. If you get the chance in your next release, make it so flat walls don't vanish after 3 squares into the distance (by placing the tiniest pannel in the 4th or something) it looks a bit odd when you are walking foward where there is no wall then suddenly one appears.