Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

How do you guys feel about this series? Personally, I find it entertaining, but that's as far as I'm willing to go. The characters were pretty dissapointing.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Spirits forever

i watched one episondes...and well..i didn't watch it halfway even...then again i've never really been a star trek fan so that;s probably it
Old 02-25-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Turned me off Star Trek after enjoying Voyager...
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

personally Voyager is the best among the star trek series. deep space nine, enterprise, next generation.. doesnt compare for me. maybe because it shows good values with voyager.. and also..

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Not bad, not great. I have been a Scott Bakula fan since the Quantum Leap show. He's a good Captain. It's a shame I have to catch it during summer re-runs as I usually work wednsday nights.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:42 AM   #6
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I think Enterprise shouldn't even be considered part of the franchise. It's so far removed from Gene Roddenberry's vision that Rick Berman isn't even a part of it.

I also despise Voyager and Seven of Nine. I think the show was MUCH better without her. The producers also wrote themselves into a corner with the whole "it's gonna take us 80 years to get home" thing.

I love DS9. It had some rough spots for a while, especially when Worf joined the crew and that thing with Jadzia happened, but the 6th season rocked. Favorite character will always be Elim Garak.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

The main problem with the entire Star Trek series is that they don't take any risks - at some point, they'd decided to avoid any chance that missing one episode involved a chance that the casual viewer wouldn't be able to familiarise him/herself with any changes in characters or situations (I mean, season cliffhangers aside, how many multi-episode storylines do we ever really get with Voyager or Enterprise? How many epic changes do we get on a season-per-season basis?). It's what makes it a perfect series for someone who only tunes in every now and then, but for someone who tries to keep up with it, it's simply one disappointing cliche episode after another, up to a point that it's no use watching it anymore. And whenever a character "dies", ends up in a life-threatening situation or another timeline altogether, or undergoes serious mental or physical changes in an episode, you just *know* that the character will be back to normal at the end of the 40 minute runtime of it - and that's in my opinion one of the ST franchise's biggest weaknesses, the lack of risk taking.
Enterprise mostly strikes me as an attempt to place the characters in completely impossible situations in the first two minutes, only to come up with even more farfetched explanations as to the "why" and "how" of those situations. Sure, it's still an interesting show to watch, but definitely not to watch many reruns of; every time I see a rerun of Voyager, ST:TNG or early Deep Space Nine, most of the time it takes only a few minutes to recognise the entire episode, plot development and plot line all at once, and all it does is make me reach for the remote to change the channel.

Sure, at the other side of the spectrum, shows like Earth: Final Conflict, Farscape and Babylon 5 made it very hard to keep up whenever you missed a single episode, but I take those any day over *any* Star Trek series or movies, if only for the occasional mindf**k with actual consequences. And, for better or for worse, they have the guts to kill off characters or sometimes even change the entire cast (E:FC), which are gambles that could work (like in season 2-4 of E:FC), or ruin the entire show altogether (season 5 of E:FC) - but at least they're taking risks, and that's a lot more than you can say of most of the Star Trek series (bar perhaps the later episodes of DSN, with the Dominion War).

I have to admit Enterprise got a lot more interesting with the current Xindi-plotline, and there's at least *some* progression and a red thread throughout the episodes in the fourth season - and, with a glance at the short episode synopses at the official ST-site, they finally plan to have some crew members killed in the final epic battle. Pity the season finale promises an encounter with an alternate dimension copy of Enterprise and its crew, so it doesn't take a genius how they're going to bring back any dead cast members with easy cop-outs.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:00 AM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Oh, and as a side-note, Enterprise is still many times more interesting than Voyager ever was.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:49 AM   #9
Target
Red Dragon

I watched all of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, got through most of season one of Enterprise but that's all, it's no way near as good and the actors are pretty bad no where near the quality of TNG. T’Pul (??) I think is the best one, I really can’t stand ‘Trip’ would not trust him to repair a toaster!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Heh.. Voyager wasn't that bad. It had a few interesting characters. DS9 is still on top of my list, though.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote