Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Alan_Sephiroth

Source: http://www.upcommingmovies.com/

Release Date: Unknown; there have been estimates (from FUNimation) that it could be filmed soon enough for a fall, 2003 or summer, 2004 release.

Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Title Note: (7/25/02) Although the TV show is now called Dragon Ball Z, the original TV series, back in 1986, was called DragonBall, so that's the title of this movie.

Production Company: Fox 2000 (Fight Club), Shueisha

Cast:

Possible Cast
Source: Rumors and DBZ Magazines

Goku-Robin Shou from Mortal Kombat
Vegeta-Jet li
Krillin-Mini Me or Danny Davito
Android 18-Cameron Diaz
Cell-The Rock
Master Roshi-Danna Carvy
Piccolo-Wesley Snipes or Vin Diesel
Trunks-Leonardo Dicaprio
Chi Chi-Elizabeth Hurley
Gohan-Keanu Reeves

Director: Not hired yet.

Screenwriter: Not hired yet.

Based upon: This will be a live-action theatrical feature film adaptation of a 1984 "manga" graphic novel by Akira Toriyama which has also inspired video games, direct-to-video movies, and an animated TV series (airing in the U.S. on the Cartoon Network; as their #1 show) that spans over 250 episodes, as the central character of Goku grows up, gets married, settles down, and has some kids. In 2001, DragonBall Z was one of the most searched keywords online, ranking #1 at Lycos, and #2 at Yahoo! (although it didn't even make Google's top 20). Fox hopes this will be a franchise, possibly including several films (unless the first one bombs, or they make two films back-to-back, and the first one bombs, leaving the second in a precarious box office situation).

Premise: This is "an epic story between good and evil, centering on the character Goku and a handful of friends who battle for the Earth against the deadly forces of the Saiyans, who are sweeping across the universe, leaving a path of destruction. Goku and friends' best chance of survival rests with the Namekian DragonBalls, which provide them the power to summon a mighty dragon." (quoted from The Hollywood Reporter, 3/12/02)

Filming: There is currently no production start date, but if they're hoping for a 2003/2004 release, the latest they could start would probably be early 2003 (for 2003) or late 2003 (to make the summer of 2004), considering that this will be a big special effects-type epic. If Fox decides to make more than one movie (since they hope it to be a franchise anyway), there's a possibility they could shoot two movies back-to-back to save production costs (ala LOTR).

Genre: Action, Based on a Book, Eye Candy, Science Fiction

Official TV Show Site: DragonBallZ.com (this will be the official focal point for news about the project in the time leading up to production)
Old 02-28-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
GokuZool
Lord Ao

What a terrible movie it will be if it's released

I like DBZ but a movie with real actors. That's just a recipe for disaster!
GokuZool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Your link doesn't work Alan. Its http://www.upcomingmovies.com/ .
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I wonder how they are going to do with those hair. must be really a tough job. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I wonder how they are going to do with those hair. must be really a tough job. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL! The flying scenes would look pretty funny

[ 03-01-2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
GokuZool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmmm, how would they do the fight scene i wonder??

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:46 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yes, and not to mention those ki attack. I would imagine the fighting place and time would be at dark places or at night.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
Alan_Sephiroth

Man, the cast is the worst thing!
Old 03-12-2003, 03:17 AM   #9
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

lol, could you imagine elizabeth hurley playing anyone's mother? never mind Keanu Reeves. the only two i could see at all(i don't know jet li or robin shou very well so don't count them) the rock and dana carvey. with the right makeup dana could proably do a pretty good dirty old man, and the rock could proably do a egotistical supervillan ok. the rest are laughable
Old 03-12-2003, 08:52 AM   #10
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Whenever I see a list of actors such as this for a film, I know it's got to be fake, or just someone's "wish list" of actors. With all those known actors, the film would need a budget of about $80 million just for them. Then add the special effects, etc. The film would cost more than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.