Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2001, 07:15 AM   #1
Ziroc

Just wondering, I just re-read the Avatar Trilogy so I could remember what happened because I wanna read these 2 'new' (to me) add-on books.

I hear it's about 'The time of Troubles'! I've been wanting to read about that for some time, MANY books have referenced this.

Ziroc
Old 03-03-2001, 07:57 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Just wondering, I just re-read the Avatar Trilogy so I could remember what happened because I wanna read these 2 'new' (to me) add-on books.

I hear it's about 'The time of Troubles'! I've been wanting to read about that for some time, MANY books have referenced this.

Ziroc
Definitely. Read Prince of Lies first then Crucible. Crucible is one of the funniest books I've ever read.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 11:39 PM   #3
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Definitely. Read Prince of Lies first then Crucible. Crucible is one of the funniest books I've ever read.

I'm into Prince of Lies deep now, and MAN-- it's good! I also just looked at a few pages of Crucible, and it's told in a first-person fashon.. that's kinda cool.. should be good!

Ziroc

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 05:14 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I'm into Prince of Lies deep now, and MAN-- it's good! I also just looked at a few pages of Crucible, and it's told in a first-person fashon.. that's kinda cool.. should be good!

Ziroc

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 03-12-2001).]
Crucible is one of the most original ways to write a FR book I've ever read. You'll find yourself rooting for Malik el Sami yn Nasser.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-14-2001, 10:13 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I agree...The Crucible was very nice, and you catch yourself rooting for the bad side!! You actually hope he succeeds! (Or at least I did)

------------------

Larry of the Holy Flame
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 11:05 AM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hmmm I may have to read these. Its time for a bookstore trip anyway.
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 11:32 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Hmmm I may have to read these. Its time for a bookstore trip anyway.
Yes, think about the possibilities...beer in one hand, book in the other

Seriously these 2 books are up there as being one of the 2 best offerings from the FR stable.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 05-19-2001, 02:58 AM   #8
Aurican
Elminster

I've read both. I thought the Prince of Lies was better but both were good. I couldn't put the Prince of Lies down, read it in no time. I especially liked that plot twist..

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 11:36 AM   #9
dominions
Elminster

Considering the replies posted here, some people might disagree with me quite strongly. I thought Prince of Lies was one of THE best Forgotten Realms books (probably ties with Finder's Stone) I have ever read - but I felt the Crucible was one of the worst. It seemed to me that the story ran away from the Author and also destroyed allot of what happened in Price of Lies

SPOILER BELOW------------------------------------------------------------------
- the whole Mad Cyric vs. Kelemvor/Midnight thing. Also, the fact that Kelemvor turned into 'Mr Ice Dude' really got up my nose! What's wrong with a good Power being in charge of the land of the dead? After all, they had Myrkul for so long.

Over-all, I really think that Crucible had allot to live up to, and didn't quite make it.

Anyway, I can heartily recommend Prince of Lies - it's brilliant!

(EDITOR: Please post a spoiler warning before posting key story elements )
(Ziroc)

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 05-21-2001).]
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 02:26 PM   #10
Aurican
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by dominions:
Considering the replies posted here, some people might disagree with me quite strongly. I thought Prince of Lies was one of THE best Forgotten Realms books (probably ties with Finder's Stone) I have ever read - but I felt the Crucible was one of the worst. It seemed to me that the story ran away from the Author and also destroyed allot of what happened in Price of Lies - the whole Mad Cyric vs. Kelemvor/Midnight thing. Also, the fact that Kelemvor turned into 'Mr Ice Dude' really got up my nose! What's wrong with a good Power being in charge of the land of the dead? After all, they had Myrkul for so long.

Over-all, I really think that Crucible had allot to live up to, and didn't quite make it.

Anyway, I can heartily recommend Prince of Lies - it's brilliant!

The reason the Crucible was so different is because it was told from the perspective of a worshiper of Cyric. Kelemvor had to change into nearly what his predecessers because he was rewarding people who died needlessly. Its one thing to worship the god of the dead, but dying stupidly because you know that a faithless or false afterlife would be too bad disrupted the balance too much. The gods are personifications of ideals. They can't have personalities because emotion and mortal worries disrupt their job, as the Crucible showed us. I hate Mystra now, she was so stupid. I'm sorry you didn't like the book, but I had to try to show you what it was about.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote