Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I finished SoU and I would like to know what modules you would recommend that I could download from the Bioware site to bridge the gap between SoU and HotU. My character finished SoU as a 12th level Cleric (real close to 13th level) and had a number of items that he wasn't able to identify. So I have a few questions:

1.If I download a module will I a)have all my items and gold and b)will I be able to have said items identified? Are they safe to download?

2. I have never downloaded a module before. Will it automatically go to my NWN folder?

3. How would I go about transfering my character into these modules?

As you can tell I am not even a novice at this, so your advice will be most appreciated. Thanks.

* Also, I did check out some modules but their patch version is different from the latest patch. Will this cause problems?

[ 02-15-2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

1. If you export your character at the end of SoU (I think it does this automatically) then you will have all your items that you did in your inventory when you export your character.

You can ID items in other modules.

I have never had a problem dling modules from the NW vault. I have probably dled 500+ modules with no problem.

2. Not automatically. Most modules are compressed using either zip or rar. You will have to extract the .mod file to your Modules folder (located in the nwn directory) or move the .mod file there yourself if you extract elsewhere.

Modules that require hak paks will sometimes include the hak and other files in the module download. Othertime you may have to download the hakpak seperate. A hak pak has .hak as it's file extension. hak paks go into the hak folder. Some designers include custom music and/movies. Music are .bmu files and movies are .bik files and go into the music or movie folder respectively.

Any respectable, decent builder will include a readme in the download to help anyone install this extra stuff with detailed instructions.

3. Start an new NWN game and select "other module" Select the module you would like to play and then you will be prompted to either select a pre-made character or make a new character. Select the premade option and choose your character from the list.

BTW- (Shameless self-promotion)If you have SOU + HOTU and patch 1.61 you can try my character maker module. It has merchants that will ID your stuff and other character making/testing goodies. Its a small download, no hakpaks or extra stuff, and very easy to install.

As far as 'SOU to HOTU bridge' module, Papermonk's won the design contest sponsored by Bioware. I havent played any of these myself, been too busy building ang playing HotU, but here is a link to all of the entrants to the contest:
Click Here
Old 02-15-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:

* Also, I did check out some modules but their patch version is different from the latest patch. Will this cause problems?
Whoops, I forgot this point- Typically you can play a module that is flagged for an earlier version without problems, but this is not gauranteed at all due to some script and content changes that have happened as the game evolved. The safest bet id to play modules that are flagged with your version or as near as possible. Reading the comments on a module's download page will sometimes have indication on problems with a new version or confirm backwards compatibilty.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Chewbacca, or anyone else, the modules The Dark Ranger's Treasure, The Winds of Eremor, To Heir is Human, and The Battle Fields came with the Gold Box Edition so I assume they are okay with the latest version. I have played 3 of the 4, the exception being to Heir is Human, and I have some questions. Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask (perhaps NWN forum?). I am new to this whole module experience and so I don't know what to expect. Anyway, my questions do contain spoilers...

1. The Dark Ranger's Treasure: Is there a way to access the bridge to the town via a key I can't find? The map says there is a town to the West. Or is getting to the Ranger's crypt and the crypt itself all there is to this one? If so, how do you complete this module and move on? The Winds of Eremor does have a end option.

Is there a place I can get the items I find identified? Sold? The guy in the Lance hotel doesn't deal in merchandise. Or is this module only designed for inbetween sessions and you carry these items into an epic module like HotU?

2. The Winds of Eremor: I completed the quest. I have tons of loot. I was asked if I wanted to go or stay until the dead were defeated. I chose the latter. Let me tell ya I was in battle after battle. My cleric sent many undead to their final resting place only to encounter more. So...

Is this one of these eternal spawning modules or is their truly an end to the undead in sight? Also, is this one of those modules that has you carry over your found, unidentified items?

3. Please suggest any modules that are longer for my 12th level Cleric that will a) allow him to get enough experience so that he can enter HotU at 15th level (I want to play and earn the experience; not have it automatically given to me as I heard HotU will do so that I can start out 15th level) and b)modules that will identify items.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well.. there are several modules especially designed to bridge the gap between SOU and HOTU. Bioware wrote a contest about this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Well.. there are several modules especially designed to bridge the gap between SOU and HOTU. Bioware wrote a contest about this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yep, the link at the very bottom of my first post goes to the NW Vault page that lists all the contest entrants. I cannot recommend any of them as I have not played any of them.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Sorry Chewy, I missed your post.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay guys, thanks, and F.Y.I. there still must be a scripting comflict between those Modules I mentioned in my first post and the latest version of NWN/SoU. Even though the play itself was fine, there was no way to view a store or have items identified, unless you found a Lore potion. The merchant in To Heir is Human wanted to sell but no store could be viewed. The same thing happened in The Dark Ranger's Treasure.

By the way, for what its worth, if I were to rank the Modules I thought "To Heir is Human" to be the best of the 4, then the Winds of Eremor, followed by The Dark Ranger's Treasure, and then Battle Fields. The last two were, IMO, so-so
Old 02-17-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Oh yeah, I recall a forum thread about the HotU-related merchant bug in those BioWare freebie modules!

Doh! sorry it just came back to me. You have to change the store's script tag in each module to make them work. If you want directions let me know, I can dig up the old forum thread at the BioWare Modules forum with the details. [img]smile.gif[/img]

edit- the bug only applies to those BioWare bonus modules as far as I know.

[ 02-17-2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 02-17-2004, 11:23 PM   #10
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Chewbacca, thanks so much. You and others have really helped me to understand this whole module concept so far. I was glad to see you reply because I have need of further assistance.

I downloaded The Nether Scrolls, the contest winner of the Bridge modules between SoU and HotU. It was a Zip file and so I placed it in my Zip Folder and opened it there. Now a window pops up asking me what program I want to use to open it with, i.e. Excel, WinWrk, etc., etc., etc. Do you know the window I am talking about? Anyway, what do I do?! How do I open this Module to play? What are the steps needed to make it playable and what do I do to make sure it is readily available for play when I return to it? Thanks once again