Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Spoilers
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Hrm, ok, im in the ancient city of undrentide working on getting into the wind temple, so i go north, through the trapped undead horde etc, i reach this maze where the walls appear and dissapear, this seems to cause my game to screech to a grinding halt making it nearly impossible to do anything at all! grrr, so anyhow i manage somehow to get to the spot after that, and theres this storm looking wind thing with zombies all around. i cannot seem to kill the zombies fast enough and the storm appears to be immune to me, and the doors to the next level are locked...
i need a spoiler on just how im supposed to get out of this one, and perhaps how to alleviate that horrid lag on the other screen so i can explore all of those doors on either wall.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

First the lag...Assuming your PC is within NWN system specs have you tried running the configuration utility and setting everything to the lowest? Otherwise I dunno about that problem.

SPOILERS!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The deathwind can only be hit when the green light around it disappears. The light will disappear for a brief time and then reappear making the deathwind immune again. I ran circles around the room dodging the zombies and running in and taking pot-shots at the deathwind whenever the light went away. The zombies are destroyed and then respawn everytime the deathwind resets its green light so fighting them before the deathwind is finished is pointless as they will just respawn. Watch out!!! One of the zombies, the zombie chieftan iirc, is a tough cookie! Avoid that one the most!

Goodluck...that is one of the toughest fights in the game! I suffered a few reload before beating that one!

[ 08-26-2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 08-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It seems like either your computer speed is below spec or there are other programs consuming your resources. What I'd wager is causing the trouble here are the numerous Onheartbeat scripts that control the phantasmal walls of this maze. For a high-end PC this is no problem but there is much talk about CPU's of lower speed not being able to cope with a large amount of these scripts.

This is a likley cause, on the other hand it could just be video lag with your card not being able to cope with all the animations in that area. I do recall that area being a little slow even for me with a 2.2 ghz, 256 ram, Geforce ti system.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

SPoilers:

You actually have to kill some of the zombies before the green aura will actually switch off. Once it does, the wind itself is VERY easy to kill, but the Greater Wind Zombie is a MAJOR challenge. Best advice is to whack a few of the lesser zombies, rush in when the aura drops, kill the wind, grab the sphere and beat feat for the exit. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the lag, even on my 800 mhz machine I don't experience any lag at all in that area. Reconfiguring might make a difference. I would also suggest defragging your hard drive and making sure you are running absolutely nothing in background that could sap system resources. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 PM   #5
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

System lag Problem.

There have been some post about after 1.31 patch this lag appears. I had it myself in the maze area. I have a dual processor system running Windows 2000 so I was able save then get back to the Main NWN screen. You know where you pick to start a new game, load a game, etc. From there I alt-tab out and brought up task manager. Task manager had NWN still pegging my processor at 100% even though I am out of the game. Once I closed NWN everything was fine. There has to be some sort of script that is putting the processor in a tight loop there. I noticed that it took it a few minutes to kick in so I was able to get in do alittle then save get out then get back in. I kept repeating that until I finished the room.

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:57 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

I've had this too, though I'm not sure if that was before or after the upgrade to 1.31; the two events are too close together.
I've found that simply saving the game, then loading it was enough to reduce lag for a large enough amount of time for me to clear the area with only a single save/load.
I had that problem with the deathwind as well [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'd tried killing the zombie chief, killing all the zombies, killing all the zombies and the chief (That seemed to work for a moment, because the circle went down just as I killed the last one. For a long moment I feared I'd have to kill all the zombies all the time to bring that shield down), various magics and weapons all to little or no effect. Then I found out the circle actually phases on and off on its own account, regardless of what I myself might be doing...

And yes, their 'leader' is tough. With a scythe and a bucketload of critical hits he can make you into just so much chaff in a matter of seconds. Traps help, but only the first few times.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

thanks for the save/reload tip
managed to explore the level with that
and as for the zombies, theyre cake...just use a deadly electical trap or 6
anyhow, i did have to reload a few times cuz the bastage dazed me (hate when that happens!)

P.S.
i beat it once now, and restarted and am now using the half orc as my companion
but he keeps putting me to sleep! argggg i wish i could tell him not to cast that bloody spell on me in combat
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Minor Spoiler.

You will get to a certain point soon where you have the option of exploring an insect "world". At the end of this the insects seal up the entrance when you leave. When you have left and the entrance is sealed the %@#@%$#@$ freakin computer utterly grinds to a halt - MAKE Sure you have done just about every thing you want at that level (the one you return to) BEFORE you make your little trek down to insect land.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Guess I was fortunate...I had none of these lag problems people seem to be experiencing.