Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Sad

I installed the game. I am not familiar with the 3ed rules. I have loved Sorceres in BG II but the spell system is probably very diffrent. So i wanted to make a Fighter or a Paladin or a Marksmen.

What do you recommend?

[ADD] Are there any patches avaliable?[/ADD]

[ 01-02-2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Sorcerers really rule in BG 2, don't they?

When you play the 3rd edition you will notice that the Sorcerer is a very poorly designed class. It's WotC fault and really has nothing to do with NWN in particular. It's a pale Wizard clone with spontaneous casting as it's only saving grace. But they are still very potent spellcasters and can handle themselves well in NWN. As usual they don't need to copy spells into the spellbook as a Wizard has to, so you save a few bucks on that. And they are still the walking artillery platform we know them as.

In any case, the spellcasting system is very similar to what you are used to from BG2. There are a few things you should know though:
1. Whenever you are attacked while casting a spell, you have to pass a Concentration check. Failure to do so will result in a failed casting. There's a skill called exactly that, Concentration, and putting skill points into it will allow you to better resist these kinds of spell failures.
2. Some spells allow saves and there are three major save groups in 3rd ed.: Fort, Will and Reflex. Fort saves deals with any spell ( or other attack) that attacks the persons bodily health such as poison, disease and certain death spells. Will saves protect agains mind affecting spells and reflex saves allows you to avoid spells such as Fireball.

As for a patch, simply press the 'Update' button on the bottom of the menu srceen that shows when you start up NWN. It should automatically search for the newest patch.

*Hint* If you want a really powerful class, try the Cleric. In 3rd edition they're killing machines; they can fight as well as a Fighter with the aid of spells and can cast some very useful offensive spells, both by themselves and by selecting the 'Magic' domain at character creation. A really cheesy class.

[ 01-02-2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 01-02-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

There are patches on the official NWN site under the support menu.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

I read somewhere that a fighter or a paladin or a cleric would be best for a newbie.

Or a combination - NWN has a "different" multiclassing system than BG2.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

IW was down for me for some time. So i am back now. I made a Paladin. Already came to Lady Arybeth and I am in the second part of the acedemy I think. I killed that Mysterious Mage and Pavel left me. I came to a room and some creatures fleed. Then I quit.

ADD] Now that you told me about Cleric you made me to do the PC all over again. But I will think i will stick with the Paladin.

[ 01-02-2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 01-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Welcome to NWN's Xen!
Old 01-03-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Sad

Back again! I have just turned the computer on. I was thinkhing...what if i Multi-Class my Elf to a Cleric? Does he still has the potential to become killing machine? And on what level?

ADD]

Well I came to the and of the Acedemy. Should I pick up Tomi? Or is it possible to go solo.

[ 01-03-2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 01-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Spellcasters, such as the Cleric, are best kept pure but you should still be able to kick some butt if you multiclass. The game isn't that hard in itself, so whether you play a single class Paladin or some multiclass doesn't really matter. At what level are you on?

Remember, though, that neither Paladin nor Cleric is the favoured class of the elf, so if you multiclass you shouldn't have more than 1 level apart in the two classes otherwise you'll loose 20% on all XP gained. That's the price you'll have to pay for the bonuses that the differrent races get.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
philip
Galvatron

I hear clerics are really great in NWN. I haven't tried myself. Clerics have the possibility to cast offensive spells. Contrary to BGII's 2nd edition rules NWN's 3rd allow the cleric to cast healing spells without needing preparation. If you have a healing spell in the quickbar you can click it and you'll automatically sacrifice a spell of the healing spell's lvl but the good thing is that you don't need to preparate.
Clerics are also very good in melee [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can solo with a fighter class easy I think. i tried soloing with my rogue bbut due to a bad choice it didn't work out but I could come quite far yet... lvl 5, then I quit for making modules
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

Yes, the Cleric is one powerful class. The unbalancing thing about the Cleric is the he can what other classes can do almost as good the the original. A Cleric with a couple of levels of Fighter and some buffs can fight better than a regular Fighter. Not to mention he'll be able to cast spells like Stoneskin, Icestorm and Improved Invisibility and get bonus to rougish skills with the correct domains. All this while wearing full plate mail, a shield and any weapon he wants to if he takes the appropiate feats; no 'Blunt weapons only' restrictions here. And it's a d8 class.