Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 02:26 PM   #1
perivar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How is ´this game compared to Baldur's Gate? Better - same - worse. Different -exactly like it?
perivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
koz-ivan
Manshoon

nwn does not compare well w/ baulders gate (1 or 2) imo they are totally seperate games, also the totality of the bg games was the story. nwn is more about multi play, and the toolset.

nwn is techy. it's got all sorts of custom interfaces that really enhance game play, the hotkeys or quickbars are far superior to any of the ie games (iw2 is closer but still not as flexible or easy to use) being able to rotate view & zoom is really neat (and i miss in the other games)

nwn is a (mostly) solo game, one char & a henchmen that you sort of control and mostly yell at when they do foolish things, bg2 gives complete tactical control to the player.

that being said there are many aspects of nwn that i believe are better than bg12 but as far as whole encompasing and engrossing storyline i'd rank it with the first iwd & expansions, good but nothing to write home about.

i do like nwn, but if i bought icewind dale 2 first, i wouldn't have been so quick to buy nwn.
koz-ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:12 PM   #3
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

I'm enjoying NWN, but BG1 and 2 were "MegaGames"
I do like the spell effects and the ability to swoop the views round.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:51 AM   #4
Whailor

You can't compare NWN to BG-series, they are simply different games. Same setting, yes - area and people and such (in some cases) - but still totally different games, with different goals or aims.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:35 PM   #5
Debaser

To be succinct and put things in a nutshell--I think Neverwinter Nights is altogether a better game than Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate II. Don't get me wrong, nothing can ever replace the story/gameplay-style of the BG series, but if I could only have one of the two--Baldur's Gate or NWN--it would be the latter.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:41 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

They're like chalk and cheese. BG2 is a traditional tactical RPG, where you control 6 characters, with a great plot, great gameplay, decent graphics, etc. It's primarily a singleplayer game - the main selling point of the game IS the game itself. Tried and true formula.

NWN is totally different for mine - you shouldn't judge it on the SinglePlayer game (which I think is quite dull, to tell you the truth). NWN is not pitched at people who want a brilliantly-written singleplayer epic a la BG2 or IWD - it's pitched at people who a) want to create their own modules and worlds; and b) want to share those modules with other people; and c) people who want to play online with other people on a regular basis an a constantly changing environment.

Look at one of the reasons why the BG2 saga lasted as long as it did - it's because people began to develop 3rd party mods and editors (eg TeamBG, WeiDU, Shadowkeeper, etc) to allow people to customize their characters and create their own mods (because playing the game over and over again tends to get a bit dull after a while, especially if you play the game quite quickly). NWN will give you that option since they shipped their toolset with the game (shame they didn't ship instructions on how to learn how to script since that's what people really need to learn how to do to build great mods). I haven't even replayed the SinglePlayer campaign once since I finished it - I enjoy the unpredictability of playing with others in a persistent world (one where griefing isn't allowed, of course) and most importantly I've been busily working on my own mod - creating dialogue, scripting events, etc. THIS is what I bought NWN for - to CREATE, not just play the SP campaign.

I guess to summarize, people who are looking for a great storyline, excellent 2D graphics, and great gameplay without worrying about multiplay or the toolset will prefer BG2 over NWN - if you don't intend to build your own mod, play multiplayer online or download other people's mods, then NWN will hold very little appeal for you since the SP campaign isn't even a quarter as good as BG2 or even IWD1. Some people like going out for dinner, others prefer to cook their own meals - it all depends on what your palate prefers.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Hmmm... Ive gotta say that even though I enjoy NWN, it is a very fun game, (along the vein of Diablo) the random items are cool, and NWN is more acessable to people who have never played an RPG besides Diablo.
The truely inovative module and multi play is outstanding!

But IMHO, it just doesnt hold a candle to the complexity of the BG series.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-21-2002, 06:42 PM   #8
AndyG
Elminster

Try downloading some of the new single player modules that have been developed. Some of them have more involved story lines than the official campaign. Neverwinter Vault has a rating system, and many of the higher rated ones are quite good.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:04 AM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
They're like chalk and cheese. BG2 is a traditional tactical RPG, where you control 6 characters, with a great plot, great gameplay, decent graphics, etc. It's primarily a singleplayer game - the main selling point of the game IS the game itself. Tried and true formula.

NWN is totally different for mine - you shouldn't judge it on the SinglePlayer game (which I think is quite dull, to tell you the truth). NWN is not pitched at people who want a brilliantly-written singleplayer epic a la BG2 or IWD - it's pitched at people who a) want to create their own modules and worlds; and b) want to share those modules with other people; and c) people who want to play online with other people on a regular basis an a constantly changing environment.

Look at one of the reasons why the BG2 saga lasted as long as it did - it's because people began to develop 3rd party mods and editors (eg TeamBG, WeiDU, Shadowkeeper, etc) to allow people to customize their characters and create their own mods (because playing the game over and over again tends to get a bit dull after a while, especially if you play the game quite quickly). NWN will give you that option since they shipped their toolset with the game (shame they didn't ship instructions on how to learn how to script since that's what people really need to learn how to do to build great mods). I haven't even replayed the SinglePlayer campaign once since I finished it - I enjoy the unpredictability of playing with others in a persistent world (one where griefing isn't allowed, of course) and most importantly I've been busily working on my own mod - creating dialogue, scripting events, etc. THIS is what I bought NWN for - to CREATE, not just play the SP campaign.

I guess to summarize, people who are looking for a great storyline, excellent 2D graphics, and great gameplay without worrying about multiplay or the toolset will prefer BG2 over NWN - if you don't intend to build your own mod, play multiplayer online or download other people's mods, then NWN will hold very little appeal for you since the SP campaign isn't even a quarter as good as BG2 or even IWD1. Some people like going out for dinner, others prefer to cook their own meals - it all depends on what your palate prefers.
ur own what? I have to check it out if it looks like cheese or chalk I know you wont disappoint me [img]tongue.gif[/img] go for it, Genie!
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 06:40 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
ur own what? I have to check it out if it looks like cheese or chalk I know you wont disappoint me [img]tongue.gif[/img] go for it, Genie!
It's going to be pretty big...here's the blurb. I haven't worked out if I will break it up into different submodules to minimize the mod size.

Darkness Over Westgate

Author: Memnoch
Email: memnoch@tgeweb.com

Module Category: Story
DM Requirements: No DM required

Description:
It's a dark and stormy night and you are travelling down a long, lonesome road somewhere on the Dragon Reach, heading east from Teziir towards the port city of Westgate, also known as the city where "anything and everything is possible...for a price", and the home of the infamous Night Masks thieves guild. The snow is beginning to fall more and more heavily, and you wish to find shelter soon. You enter a dark, forbidding forest as you draw closer to your destination, and your eyes are drawn to an elderly couple huddling close to a campfire, near some ruins on the side of the road.

(HINT: If anybody has the D&D Supplement Lords of Darkness, there's a large section there about the Night Masks and the Night King of Westgate. This mod is about what is discussed there - it's going to be an epic, which is why it's going to take some time to put together, given that I'm doing it all by myself.)

Starting Player Levels:
Multi: 3-5
Solo: 4-6

No. Players: 1-4

HakPak File: No files to download
ReadMe File: No files to download

Tricks and Traps: Medium
Roleplaying:: Heavy
Hack n' Slash: Medium

Gameplay hours: 10-15 hours est.

Setting of module: Westgate and the Dragon Reach

Alignment info: Good or neutral suggested for roleplay purposes (currently working on options for evil characters)

Race info: All

Class info: All

Content rating: PG (all ages but moderate gore and blood)

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote