Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
In the area with the cells under Helm's Hold there's a chest in one of the cells that says it has runes on it. I can't unlock it, it doesn't take any damage - do I need a key? Where might this key be?

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 07:01 PM   #2
perk31
Manshoon

You need something that does elemental damage like a weapon that does fire, electrical, cold, or acid damage. You can also use the rogue henchman, I can't remember his name, or spells to damage the chest.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Elemental damage doesn't seem to work. I'm a mage - I cast acid arrow, flame arrow, firball, icestorm - nothing. And my pixie won't open it, Grimnaw doesn't even respond [img]graemlins/confused3.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

An actual WEAPON, I think Perk means. Something that you can use the 'BASH' command with; if you're a mage, I can't think of anything offhand.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yeah but any other chest I've come across I can either destroy with spells, Grimnaw bashes or Trixie picks the lock. Grim and Trixie have little contests to see if she can pick it before he bashes it . This chest is different, and I thought since when you examine it it has some story about having runes etched into it it must have some special opening mechanism.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:08 PM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Sory I can't remember it Aelia - when you try to pick it, what message comes up - in other words does it say that the lock is a certain level and that you have failed the open attempt cos your skill is less than the lock DC, or does it say a special item is needed?
Old 08-23-2002, 08:10 PM   #7
Hesperex

I found the same thing, I tried everything short of a nuclear warhead and alas nothing worked.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:12 PM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I had posted a response a little bit ago, but took it down cause I was worried it might spoil. You have to use a Thief to open it. I tried bashing it and casting all kinds of spells and they didn't work. What you have to beat is a DC of 34. If you have Tomi, I think he can do it. Otherwise, you will need to use thieves tools + whatever level to get it to work for you. My character has a Take 20 + 12 for 32. I need at least a Thieves toolkit +3. Other than this, I haven't been able to affect the chest. It absorbs up to at least 17 hp damage and appears to take no damage with any spells. Knock doesn't even work. I did open it though, and it provides random treasure.

EDIT: I also mentioned that I didn't know that level existed earlier, so want to thank you for letting me know.

Possible spoiler
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
When I opened the chest, the first time, I got Petty's Tempest (some kind of mace), second time I opened it I got a ring of prot +5. My character is a 4th level thief (20 overall though - loaded an older save game with newer character). If you can pick a DC of 34, then you don't need any other items to open the chest. Otherwise, you will need Thief Toolset to augment your skills. If you talk to the boy and say you want to do future business, he will become a store that you can purchase items from. Unfortunately, he only appears to have Tools +1. He does have some cool scrolls that I didn't see before though. Worth a look. Other than that, he just appears to have +1 stuff.

[ 08-23-2002, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 08-23-2002, 08:31 PM   #9
Hesperex

I did have Tomi at the time Tobbin and he couldn't pick it, I belive I was level 6
Old 08-23-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Thanks Tobbin - I don't have Tomi or any rogue levels or open lock skill so I gave up.

Btw Johnny the shopkeeper's good also because he's very cheap, for instance magic arrows and bolts are elsewhere over 2000gp for me, he was selling them for 1100gp [img]smile.gif[/img]