Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 01:59 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

Yeah, I could read reviews etc but I'd rather hear things from the horses mouth so to speak. I've done the BG's & IWD's, Planescape I can't get into and now it's time to find something new.

Please tell me as much as you might think I need to know. The only games I've played "properly" in the last few years are those above so I'm not really too sure what to ask, other than is it like BG1/2 etc. It doesn't have to be like those games, I'm not limited to infinity engine games.

Doubtless any comments here will also help Cloudy to make up her mind too. Aaahh, there's a question, is multi-player an option?

Any pointers and advice appreciated

------------------
One love, peace.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:01 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

hehehehe

Will push up the SELL ME thread!
Watch for it!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:03 PM   #3
Charlie
Lord Ao

Tx Wyvern, posted this before reading CB's post. Does the search engine work ok now? It didn't used to.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:08 PM   #4
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Whatzup, Charlie. Ah, another convert. Lord of Alcohol and I both bought this game last weekend. Spent 8 hours on it Sat night.

It is a first person game like a Might and Magic, but better. You have to do almost equal amount of thinking as you do fighting. You can have up to six people in your party. Try making it a DIVERSE party. I don't think a party of six mages would get very far. Only one person can do an action on your group at a time. Movement is done by the keys (mouse is an option, but not as elegant IMHO). Ya have to think a little outside of the box on this game. There are challenges that might set you back a little. I try not to, but you can always ask questions on the board here. They answer it VERY quickly and very helpful. And they won't spoil you unless you ask. I found it at Best Buy for $30.00, probably can find it for less, but it was right down the street and I am too lazy to look any harder.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:17 PM   #5
Xignal
Drizzt Do'Urden

To get a feel for starting the game (creating characters, seeing races and roles available, etc.) you might check out this link:

Beginner's Pages.

Rick
Xignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:32 PM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

Cheers BK,

Might & Magic I've never seen & first person is what, through the eyes of the character?

Tx for the link Xignal.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:36 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Interesting post Charlie. Maybe I should buy it too.
(I saw you posting in the who's online. Thought I'd check it out.)

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:50 PM   #8
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Yorick,

yes I often spot you having a spy whilst I'm spying myself.

Just getting the low down mate, BG2 is wearing a tad thin for me now and I don't want to kill it stone dead. Time to move on, do some new stuff and then I can return to Amn at a later date knowing that there's still stuff for me to learn and do.

Small poser for someone -

Does this game have any replayability value, or is it a once done it's done type affair. Not that it matters, it's just a point of interest.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:57 PM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Charlie, it is throught the eyes of the pc. You have a mouse that does different actions depending on what it is hovering over, and you see the weapons slashing in front, or the arrow on the left side.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:01 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Charlie: Yes, 1st Person is "through the eyes of the characters." The view is actually IN the gaming world, rather than viewing it overhead at the 3/4 view typical of BG2 and Diablo. It has benefits and drawbacks; the enhanced interaction from being "in the game" is outstanding, but you lose some on defensive/offensive placement. There are spells in the game which compensate for this (Repel & Lure).

Overall, I love the game, but I cut my teeth on 1st person games. I've had a hard time getting into the 3/4 gaming worlds since I find the graphics in them to be hard to see (I've got a lot of astigmatism, so things seem smaller to me than normal, even with corrective lenses). I did thoroughly enjoy Diablo, though, and I also like Realms of Arkania way back when, which was an interesting blend of 1st and 3rd person gaming (1st for exploring, 3rd for combat).

I'd recommend giving it a try and seeing if you like it. It's got some interface problems, but for the most part, it's a great experience.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote