Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 10:25 PM   #1
jsalsb
Elminster

In response to the excellent comment by Magnus re: getting through the game without help...

Actually, W&W was the first game I've purchased since Wiz7. Before that I had only played the other Wizardry installments and just about all the Infocom games (Zork, et al.). Seeing how Wizardry 7 made its debut before the mass popularity of the Web, my only strategy solutions were the long distant calls to Sir-Tech's help line in Ogdensburg, New York (okay, there were BBS's, but searching for a Wizardry help BBS was a bit beyond my "need to know").

This brings up a good point: boy, are games less satisfying when you can get the answers you need freely and quickly! Yes, I used this forum several times, and was thankful for it (and all of your collective sage advice ). But I also remember the frustration of not being able to solve a nasty problem in Wiz7, leaving the game in disgust for a couple of weeks, then coming back and solving it. Now, that's the satisfaction of accomplishment! and, it made the first playthrough last over 6 months!

What I find best about this forum, and those like it, is the ability to share comments and experiences with others about a gaming experience we all loved.

But OTOH, I'm too week willed to stay away when I need the answers!!

------------------
JonII
jsalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:35 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Heheh, I think we all feel like that from time to time, JonII!! I definitely remember getting stumped in Wizardry 7, and finally breaking down and calling the help line (and feeling VERY stupid afterward). The Internet is definitely a two-edged sword. On one hand, you can get an answer very fast past a stumper, but on the other hand, there is the temptation to look further and further and further.

Wizards and Warriors is one of those games where I didn't really have to look for answers (I didn't discover the forum until I was almost through with the game). Unfortunately, in this day and era of "instant gratification," few people are willing to put up with puzzles that are hard to solve. Being that the game provides little or no information on certain items (like how to become a Valkyrie or a Zenmaster), it's a blessing that the forum exists. There's also a lot of fun and creativity that is generated here.

We run a large gamut, from the gamers who have technical issues, to those who "flubbed up" and need some help, to those who are out to max stats, to those who just need a nudge past a stumper. I personally prefer the Forum universe, since it helps bring people together that share a common interest. I, for one, feel that my life has been enriched by conversing with people such as you, and Wyvern, and Scronan, and Moni, and Alicat, and Skywalker, and Mammawlin, and Elara, and Slip, and *whew* I can't even begin to name them all!

OK, GROUP HUG!!!!!

There, that felt better. Yes, definitely the Forum universe is the one I prefer.

Love ya guys,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:37 PM   #3
Moni

Hiya Jsalsb!

I hear ya! I played through all of the Wizardry games with no online help or even calling the techs! It was a challenge to beat them!

I got turned on to online forums when I got lost in M&M 7 and went back when I needed help in M&M 8.

I have to admit though, I did not make it very far in W&W without finding myself in trouble that I could not solve alone! Time seems to go by faster as I get older and I have little to waste these days LOL!
I tried to do it all myself but there were places (i.e. the bridge puzzle in Skull Castle) where having such available help prevented me from even trying to do it alone.

I am going to do my best not to ask for help or look for answers to Wizardry 8 whenever it gets released and I get it in my anxious little hands! We'll see how I make it alone. : )

Of course, I will try to be on that forum to provide answers! That is, provided I get it as early as everyone else! ; ) I started W&W pretty late in the year, last year.

: )
Moni

Hiya Sazerac! HUGS!!!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 10:50 PM   #4
jsalsb
Elminster

Aww... you guyz! Yes, forum good in the final analysis. I've posted WAY more often post-game than during. Get a life, you may ask? No way!

Actually, technical questions make the board invaluable. And for this particular game, this was (unfortunately) essential. My first foray to this forum was to get by the elevator bug in the Temple of Isis. If it weren't for you guys, I would have really thought 1) that there was no bug, and I was just an idiot. And 2) that the game was really badly thought out: in my personal gaming strategy, you exit an area and re-enter before making any potentially irreversible moves, such as activating the portal of Isis. So, leaving was the intuitive decision; activating the portal was counterintuitive.

Could never have figured that one out without this board and its great users! Thanks all!

------------------
JonII
jsalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 11:22 PM   #5
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Jslasb,

Well, I only started playing Wizardy 6 and 7 about 2 years ago, but I used some online maps and walkthroughs extensively. For Wiz 6, I played the game without any help for the first half or so, and only minimally used the walkthrough when I got stuck. Wiz 7 I used the walkthroughs like a crutch, since I felt I was making up for lost time and that Wiz 8 would be out soon, so I wanted my party ready.

Little did I know at that time, that I'd still be waiting 2 years later.

Actually, I got through Wiz 1 without any help, and Wiz 5, I'll be honest, I had to call for help with the puzzles near the end, but that was it.

With Wizards and Warriors, I forced myself to do the entire game without any hints besides how to get gold and such, but I didnt use a walkthrough or ask any questions of any kind to solve riddles. I take that back, I asked one question that I was too impatient to solve on my own, but ended up figuring it out on my own anyway.

But I felt proud that I went through the game on my own, since I felt I over used the walkthroughs in Wiz 7.

Saz makes a good point, the temptation is out there...and its hard to say no! I would have finished WW in record time had I not been trying to build super characters. But thats what I love to do in RPG's, get the levels high and the best weapons, and never go into a fight without some serious butt kicking abilities.

Take care!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 01:08 PM   #6
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ahhh, how sweet! What a cool thread, sure am glad I looked at it. Group hugs and love and stuff. . . my day has been made! All I can say is they better keep those good games coming, cause with forums like this, who can resist. I absolutely agree with Sazerac, my life is enriched because of the people, like him, that I have met here. I won't make a list, because I'm afraid I would leave someone out and I wouldn't want to do that.

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote