Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Magness
Quintesson

I was originally going to post this info in the current "Spells" thread, but since many people who might want to see this info might not know that the "Spells" thread had turned in this direction, I decided to start a new thread.

1. Wiemer is working on a mod to convert BG2 over to use the IWD2 3rd ed rules engine. This is Weimer's "mission statement" for the project:
Quote:
Icewind Gate II is a project to automatically convert the content from BG2
to the IWD2 engine (and third-edition D&D rules). This should combine the
best of both worlds: IWD2's intelligent rule system and BG2's plot.
I strongly suggest going over to Wiemer's site Icewind Gate 2 to read up on it. He has about 18 screen shots of his progress to date in this page and more on some other linked gallery pages.

Westley Weimer is the person responsible for the fine IWD2 Ease-of-Use mod and a couple of others.

2. BIS is currently working on their next generation engine, code named Jefferson. From reading the various threads on it on the Interplay site, Jefferson sure sounds like it's going to be quite impressive. IIRC, it will use 3d graphics technology but will continue to use the 3rd person isometric viewpoint.

Check out the BIS Feedback Forum for the various threads on "Jefferson" for more info.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Irongrinder

hmm, Wiemer will have a lot of things to do I think [img]smile.gif[/img]

It does sound nice though, but how will he do that with graphis of demons who aren't in iwd2 but are in BGII?
Irongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

If you've checked out his site, you'll see that he's already been able to use some of the existing BG2 graphics (the Shadow Dragon, for example). I think what he's building is some sort of converter that will be executed and in some way "convert" many of the BG2 elements (monsters, weapons, etc.) to work in the IWD2 engine.

I cannot really explain it any better than the Icewind Gate 2 website:
Quote:
Key conversion points:

Uses IWD2's spell system (no more Time Stop, Chain Contingency, etc.).

All converted items are automatically given descriptions based on their actual abilities, so no matter what the BG2 designers or my converter were smoking you'll know what is going on.

Item damage and feat requirements are taken from 3E (so warhammers do 1d8 base damage, katanas use the bastard sword feat, etc.).

All monsters are converted to 76 + (level/3) stat-point characters. Feats are chosen (using the same rules you would use, etc.) based on classes, spell memorization tables are filled out.

IWD2's "scaled experience" thingy is employed, so if you're 20th level you don't get XP for killing kobolds. (If you're one of the few people who prefer it the old way, it's easy enough to mod MONCRATE.2DA so that you get the same reward for killing a CR X for regardless of your level.)

IWD2 skills like Hide, Spellcraft, Arcane Lore and Concentration work correctly. Both your characters and enemy creatures have them.

Trap, lock, hide and lore (etc.) difficulties are converted from BG2's 1-100 scale to IWD2's 1-40(ish) scale.

Still leaves IWD2 completely playable, if for some reason you want to . New strings are appended to dialog.tlk, converted resources are put in their own namespace.
One thing that really stands out to me is the complete conversion to the IWD2 spell set. That one change by itself will make "Icewind Gate 2" a very different game from the original BG2.

Another interesting statement:
Quote:
The current goal/milestone is to convert an Unmodded version of SoA. If
that works we'll move on to ToB, BG2 mods, possibly BG1, etc.
It would be awesome to be able to play the BG series from start to finish within the IWD2 engine.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 03:32 AM   #4
lethoso
Manshoon

it would be very much awesome to play bg 1 with the iwd II engine.... the graphics are the only thing letting bg 1 down badly... a conversion would make for bigger res
Old 03-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #5
Irongrinder

I agree with lethoso, although I do like the idea, BGII is still playable in its current form, BGI is hardly, so I'd rather see a conversion of BGI. Oh well, perhaps in the near future
Irongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:53 AM   #6
dragonslayer
Manshoon

just a thought that hit me...how about planescape in the IWD2 engine! omg what a game it would be...but the graphics from that game is totally diferent so mnaybe it's not possible at all...but still [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

emm..how will they release the convertion when they finish it? by downloading it? how big is the convertion?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:09 AM   #8
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Sounds excellent!, though I disagree that Baldurs Gate 1 isn't playable in it's original form. I play it once a year right through, it hasn't lost anything over time. Also play a couple of the old M & M games too.