Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 AM   #1
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I've installed the latest patch, and started a new group, which includes a pure Rogue. I'm wondering what will happen though if I use improved invisibility on the Rogue. I've actually never used the spell before, as I heard that pre-patch it was bugged.

My question is, will all of his attacks while under the spell be sneak attacks? Would it only be the 1st one? Or would they all be sneak attacks except against things that can detect him (with blind fighting or some spell).
Old 11-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Techniquely the first attack should be a sneak attack but after that the Thief should become partially visible rendering him unable to make successive sneak attacks.
However if you flank or come behind a foe, whether visible or invisible thats counted as a sneak attack.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hmm, I heard a rumor that unless the opponent has something like blind fighting (or some spell effect to detect the invis rogue), that all attacks are sneak attacks. I should know in a couple of days [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 05:05 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

From a Thief without any invisibilty no. Only if you flank or get behind your opponent. With invisibilty on i'm not sure...it may be the case that all attacks are sneaks...I'll try it and tell ya.

[ 11-13-2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 11-13-2002, 05:25 PM   #5
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Cool, let me know! Might be a while before I get the spell, the new group has a Wizard as its lone arcane caster. Not sure when you get access to an improved invis scroll; he's almost 5th level with a +1 ECL..
Old 11-13-2002, 05:55 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Imp. Invis is a 4th level spell. Wizards get it (if they have the scroll) at 7th level, Sorcerers at 8th level. Dunno when/where you could get a scroll for this spell. After my first game, I went with sorcerers exclusively. Thus I avoided the problem of not having what I wanted, when I wanted it

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 PM   #7
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I've heard you can get the scroll as loot from battle squares - not sure where else it is though.

And it's true that you can pick spells as a Sorcerer, but you better like the ones you pick because you're stuck with them [img]smile.gif[/img] In the end a Wizard will always have a much deeper selection of spells than a Sorcerer.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, I'll tell ya, Gimli: in every computer RPG I've ever played, it's always turned out that, however many spells my mages know, they end up using only a relative handful. So the spell limitation on sorcerers doesn't bother me.

For instance, a few times I took the infamous "Otiluke's Resilient Sphere", and never cast it once. Other people seem to use it a lot

And once you're familiar with the game, it isn't too hard to make the right choices. Of course, that will vary by style of play. Still, nothing really beats having the spells you want when your mage is ready for them. And there are always scrolls to fill in the gaps, if necessary.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:21 PM   #9
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

How can you NOT use "ORS"!?!?! That is the greatest spell ever. It has got me out of more tough scrapes than any other. Its ALWAYS first in line when my sorcs choose 4th level spells. I know its a cheesy spell but its so useful. If they wanted to "De-Cheezify" the game a lot they would take away the targeting circle as soon as a creature went into the sphere. But IM not going to tell them that. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 10:44 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well I do play Sorcerers and do like them alot, especially as pure nuker-type casters. This current party though has only one arcane caster in it, plus I wanted to max alot of skills, so the Wizard fit in very well. Also you have to like the extra feats at level 1/5/10/15/etc the Wizard gets, more chances for SF/GSFs. I think they're both nice classes - I come from the days of 1st edition, so to me the Wizard is the more "true" arcane caster too from a RP point of view You should have to scratch and claw to build up your array of spells by nabbing scrolls and spellbooks, with research and devotion, none of this innate charisma rubbish, lol