Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Why is it that all characters with a racial bonus (+1 small char) are hit more often than any other chars? My dwarf pally and halfling fighter are hit practically every time an enemy swings, and even then the damage is in the 20s, not to mention them being orcs or goblins. What is up with this?
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

A quick check of the manual shows that they aren't using those modifiers in the game. The only AC bonus is the +4 to Dwarves vs giants. Nothing for halflings.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
Why is it that all characters with a racial bonus (+1 small char) are hit more often than any other chars? My dwarf pally and halfling fighter are hit practically every time an enemy swings, and even then the damage is in the 20s, not to mention them being orcs or goblins. What is up with this?
I know the fealing of getting hit all the time. It happen to me too. In this game, hitting someone is very easy. And getting hit hurt a lot. It might sem that gettting a good armor is a good idea, but in this game, armor make no difference, you are going to get hit all the time. The real lifesaver is damage reduction.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Ive noticed that too!
To start with my characters were walking pincushions for goblin archers, now with points given to dodge and other related skills nary an arrow hits. Same armour, virtually the same AC.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:00 AM   #5
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I Found it frustrating as well... Only my monks AC was good enough to go toe to toe the first time through and in HoF not even my monks AC is good enough. Its cheap but the best armor in the game is improved invisibility. Now if I could just make a half-orc wizard/barbarian that can cast Tensors Transformation.... Hmmmm [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 11:27 AM   #6
Kalak
The Magister

The thing about armor class and why they haven't given great armor is quit simple. Cast stoneskin and get almost double your hit points...cast prayer and get an effective +1 to ac, protection from evil does the same, chant gives a +1, recitation gives a +1, aura (lvl 7 cleric) gives a +4, defensive harmony gives a +6 (i think), plus any items that give a general bonus and using magic shields your party should be almost untouchable...the problem is that most ppl don't take advantage of these spells, but if used for your big fights they become cake walks even with the mediocre armor lying around.

In IWD 1, I don't think I took more than 100 points of damage for my entire party during the last chapter from non-magical attacks.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:03 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Hmmm. Are you saying that all those spells can be cast and they stack up as armor modifiers? My impression was that you couldn't get more than one protection of a type (armor, deflection, etc.) except for the "generic" one.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:03 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalak:
The thing about armor class and why they haven't given great armor is quit simple. Cast stoneskin and get almost double your hit points...cast prayer and get an effective +1 to ac, protection from evil does the same, chant gives a +1, recitation gives a +1, aura (lvl 7 cleric) gives a +4, defensive harmony gives a +6 (i think), plus any items that give a general bonus and using magic shields your party should be almost untouchable...the problem is that most ppl don't take advantage of these spells, but if used for your big fights they become cake walks even with the mediocre armor lying around.

In IWD 1, I don't think I took more than 100 points of damage for my entire party during the last chapter from non-magical attacks.
I use all those spells for boss fight, but the problem is that they don't last long, so I can't use them for the regular encounters.

In my opinion the regular encounter are often harder than the boss fight. When it come to the boss fight, I use everything I have, so I have no trouble. But when I get surounded by tons of monsters that always seem to hit me is when I get in trouble.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #9
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

It's situations EXACLTY like that that makes me miss Spell Sequencer, Spell Trigger and any other of those types. Buffing before battle in this game takes WAY to long. Even with my Sorc at 29 Charisma he still waits 6 seconds between castings. BG2 was kind enough to give items and spells that lowered buffing time. Improved Aclarity comes to mind... That was a fantastic spell, and that amulet that Deidre sold that lowered casting time. Those combined with the Robe of Vecna... Ahhh the good days of casting 3 lvl 9 spells in 6 seconds.