Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
espeed
Dungeon Master

Gold certainly isnt an issue in this game is it!!!!!! Im only up to the ice palace in chapter 2 and I have roughly 70000 left after spending up large about 30000 on some goodies.

Also I get the feeling im leveling up quite quickly. I am only at 1st level of the ice palace and the beginning of chapter 2 and my guys are already level 8. If im not mistaken ive still got 4-5 chapters left after this one and most people are saying typical finishing level is about 16-17. I know points required to level gets bigger and bigger as you go on, but so does the XP you get from fighting stronger enemies, they compliment each other right. Judging by my progress id expect to land somewhere over level 20 at least, surely not!!!!!

I am playing normal difficulty (core rules)with 6 characters.

[ 10-02-2002, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: espeed ]
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Those goblins are very well paid or something...but I did not expect to find so much loot available. I can buy anything I want, really. And I ahve never gotten to level seven faster in my life,,,but that is probably because I have never had such a battle-intensive game like this before. With so many monsters to kill over a short area...it is not unbelievable...yet I still question the richness of these monsters.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The game is six chapters long. Yeah, you do start leveling pretty quickly once you're out of the Prologue. However, that will slow down as you get deeper into it. Be sure to do as many quests as you can, because those are fixed points not dependent on your level.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:29 AM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

With a full party of 6, you will reach level 16 by the end of IWD2.

Fewer characters in a party will mean more XP for all at the expense of having more combatants in your party.

[ 10-03-2002, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Magness ]
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
Guinness
The Magister

Dunno where u guys are getting all this GOLD from.... HAve u been spending any of it? the most i ever had is the 10 gran from Targos.... and i spent it before leaving too!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Guinness:
Dunno where u guys are getting all this GOLD from.... HAve u been spending any of it? the most i ever had is the 10 gran from Targos.... and i spent it before leaving too!
Lol! We...er...spill alot of blood! And loot our enemies. There's a fortune to be had there!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:40 AM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Since we are talking about monsters economy, I never knew the Icewind dale area was so magically rich. I always thought all you could find up in the north is lot of snow and orcs.

It seem I was wrong, heh. Every lowly goblin carry more money than a peasent make in a year, has better weapons than an average soldier, and for some reason every town, out of the way merchant, and hermit has a stack of higly magical and powerfull items to sell at ridicullous high price, and they also seem to have millions of gold pieces available.

But strangly enough, if you steal or kill then, they carry nothing.

I think this is a conspiracy created by a cabal of illusionist, using illusions to create fake items and gold, to sell to adventurer, in an attempt to get enough money to... well... do what evil illusionist usually do...
Old 10-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
Cloak the Firecat
Welcomed New User

sooo let me get this stright.. ya'll are complaining about haveing in excess in this game when in others (ie; bg1, bg2, iwd1, nwn, etc) we have had little gold and magick items. as far as the exp / levels gained,, does anyone else smell a expansion set? I mean you end iwd2 at 16-18 lvl and max at 30. something kinda fishy bout that to me.
talk at ya latter
Cloak the Firecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 11:30 AM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Apparently, there are some "hooks" in the code for a possible add-in. Nothing official has been said about an expansion, though.

Level 30 is for those who want to slog through Heart of Fury mode. Maybe they expect you to import your characters from the first time to reach that exalted level.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:42 PM   #10
Northraven
Manshoon

Thank the D&D 3rd edition rules for the presentation of such a "realistic" monster economy. IWD2 faithfully converts 3rd ed treasure assumptions, hence Goblin encounters at lvl 4 giving you more money than an average peasant makes in a year. Having said that, I don't mind these ridiculous treasure hordes at all in a computer game where you are fighting 10-20x the monsters that you encounter in PnP game. It's the current 3rd ed campaign that I am running at a friends request that I "try the new system out" where I feel that the treasure/economy is out of all control [img]smile.gif[/img] (sighs and gets out Rolemaster books, begins designing new campaign)
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote