Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

What triggers being allowed to go with the guy to the Hengorot? He keeps saying I'm not powerfull enough. Do you have to reach a certain level? Do you need to complete IWD before you can start HOW? Inquiring minds want to know, Thanks!!

[ 08-20-2004, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: ElfBane ]

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

I assume you are referring to the shaman in Kuldahar who takes you to HoW? Each of your characters has to be at least level eight. That's including combined levels - you can go through with a lvl 4/4 multiclassed character, although I wouldn't recommend it. The level requirement also goes up with the difficulty level.

You do not have to complete IWD before starting HoW. However, I would at least finish the Severed Hand before doing so. That area is stacked with good spells and items that you will want in HoW.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:30 AM   #3
silencer
Dungeon Master

Since you said Hengorot and not HoW I would guess you meant the scenario of getting thrown out of the camp. You need to pass through Burial Isle (speak to the fisherman in Lonelywood) and Gloomfrost, then revisit the guard upon which a new dialog appears.
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Silencer,

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . WELCOME to the Icewind Dale Forum!!! . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane:
What triggers being allowed to go with the guy to the Hengorot? He keeps saying I'm not powerfull enough. Do you have to reach a certain level? Do you need to complete IWD before you can start HOW? Inquiring minds want to know, Thanks!!
ElfBane,

Like Aerich, I am a tad confused as to what you mean, so will take my cues from Aerich and silencer and assume you are talking about two separate subjects.

*** Spoilers, below. ***

First, entering HoW:

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I assume you are referring to the shaman in Kuldahar who takes you to HoW? Each of your characters has to be at least level eight. That's including combined levels - you can go through with a lvl 4/4 multiclassed character, although I wouldn't recommend it. The level requirement also goes up with the difficulty level.
I thought clvl requirements were a little higher. I am pretty sure there is a minimum character clvl AND a minimum average party clvl, and it may be class dependent. It's confusing, and I have never seen a definitive and authoritative explanation of what the exact requirements are; but it is a moot point, because: Unless you are a masochist, you do NOT want to enter HoW with a party that is anywhere NEAR the minimum allowed! Your party should AVERAGE AT LEAST clvl 11 (9/10 for DC characters). Make no mistake, going into HoW with a party full of level 9 characters will lead to a very frustrating experience, very early on. Make sure you have at least one high-level priest (clvl 12+) with active skills (not inactivated because you have DCed and have not progressed far enough in your second skill set): Burial Isle is one of the first places you visit in HoW, and I think it was specifically designed to spank priestless parties.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
You do not have to complete IWD before starting HoW. However, I would at least finish the Severed Hand before doing so. That area is stacked with good spells and items that you will want in HoW.
Very good advice. Even better advice is to go as far as possible in IWD before trying HoW: Remember that HoW is designed to be difficult for parties of six that have completely finished IWD and average clvl 12; so load your guys with as much expo as possible. Get your party to the point where lower DD is totally cleaned out; you have defeated the stone idol and you could progress up the stairs to RBP's chamber (don't); and you have the Dorn's items requested in the Severed Hand quest. THEN go back to Severed hand and collect your 400,000 in expo (if you get all requested items). If that is enough expo, go to Kuldahar and start HoW. If you want more expo, first, (e.g., to nudge that 9/11 DC Fighter/Priest up to 9/12) go back to LDD and whack the respawning monsters.

Second, going to the Barbarian camp:

All that I would add to what silencer has said is: Do everything in your power to avoid any fight in the Barb camp, unless and until you know exactly, BEFORE you enter the camp, why you might want to do otherwise. If you get into a fight on your first visit, you did something wrong. And if you kill the guard at the Barb camp gate, you are shafted: cannot finish the game.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote