Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

I recently started a new game with four party members, including the basic IWD paladin and bard. I assumed that they would have their prime attribute maxed out, and was surprised to see that the paladin has only 17 charisma. Then I noticed the other attributes weren't great, either. Does anyone ever use these characters? Do they have anything special about them?

When I create a character myself, I usually reroll until the total points get to be over 80. Then I maximize the character's primary attribute, constitution and dexterity. Is that cheating or is that what you're supposed to do?

Lymond
Old 05-16-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Duke Hereward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As far as I am concerned that's what you should be doing - if you're transferring points then you'll be making some stats weaker to improve others, a kind of risk-reward deal. Its get to cheating (IMO) if you open up Dalekeeper and max everything out before tramping around the 'dale kicking the living daylights out of everything in a very speedy manner! I liked the challenge of the undead caves with a low level party - recently I took a maxed out party of six in there and just waited for the whole damn lot to come at me before knocking them out for six in a couple of swipes!!!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

No it is not cheating but could be considered power gaming. I usually do the same thing until I get at least reasonable states. Some people roll & roll until they get it perfect but I don't have time for that and realistically that is not how it would really be which I would consider true power gaming.

Don't forget that you can change points to different attributes as you feel fit when creating a character. Take a point from Wisdom and boast Charisma to 18.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
Yanez
Manshoon

Those pre-made characters are in my opinion, meant to be a bit more realistic than those characters we gamers use to make. I played once with the entire party made of pre-made characters, and it wasn't so tough to beat the game.
Afterall I don't know a single DM in a PnP game who would let you roll your stats until you are satisfied with them.

[ 05-16-2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Yanez ]
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

I donīt know if the Paladin and the Bard have a prime attribute and since they canīt multi/dual class int his game it doesnīt matter either. But I suppose that Charisma can be called their prime attr. Both the Paladin and the Bard are good classes.

As for rerolling I have a bad habit of trying to make my characters perfect. Yes I know itīs power-gaming but but my opinion of a difficult fight is that the enemies have better weapons,armor and skills rather than that my fighter canīt score a hit due to low strenght. Iīm starting to hold back on the perfectionism lately but I always go for the max Dex for most of the characters. The armor class bonus is great especially if you canīt wear armors. I usually also go for max Con for warriors and 16 on all others. As well as max the prime attribute. Thatīs max of 84 if Iīm correct.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #6
Midget Gems

Just like most people, I like to re-roll for good stats and play with powerful characters, but I try to make to make up for it by using smaller parties or by increasing the difficulty. However on one occation I wanted to beat the game with a weak party so I rolled six characters each with 80 points (no catagory less than 8 points) and I made them all dual-class or multi-class. It was quite a challenge to allocate the points but at the end of the day I had a nice well balance game. Just finished a solo game as well, so you can play it anyway you like.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Yes, whenever I play solo I always have a better character than anyone in a party. I mean a solo character have to do everything for himself such as carrying around stuff. You donīt want a fighter with low to medium strenght when he has to wear a full plate mail, a twohanded sword, any other protection gear AND all equipment needed. Although I find inventory space more of a problem than how much you can carry in weight. Probably because itīs so easy to give a character a strengh of 18 or more while inventory space is constant.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:35 AM   #8
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Do you mean those pre-generated characters that come with the game that you can't change the stats of?
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
Do you mean those pre-generated characters that come with the game that you can't change the stats of?
no you cant... can only change name and biography
Old 05-21-2003, 10:45 AM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
no you cant... can only change name and biography [/QUOTE]Yeah them. My most sucsessful party was with them, they're good, and I haven't had any others since. I suggest you use them.
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote