Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

OK, I'm done with Kuldahar Pass and cleared the place out. Now my party has lugged loads of battle axes, short bows, small shields and what-not with the expectation of selling 'em for a nice bit of gold (it's not much at 1gp each, but hey! very lil' bit helps!). But when I reach Kuldahar the #$@^%$!^ merchant (Gereth) refuses to buy 'em! What gives??

To be more precise, when I get to the buy/sell screen all the looted weapons are greyed out (which I take it to mean that I can't sell them).

Is this par for the course?

Edit note: Maybe I should try someone else? I got a sneaking suspicion that when I get the answer I'll go, "Doh!"

Also, since I'm here, can anyone provide some general advice about the Vale of Shadows? No spoilers, please, just some tips on what to expect.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 10-09-2001).]
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:23 PM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

What merchant are you selling it to ? You can find more then one in Kuldahar. Some will buy certain items while they will not buy others. But you can sell about everything there.

The vale ? Bring some healing stuff and weapons with a thaco bonus.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:44 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The low down on merchants in Kuldahar is that there are 4 of them:

1) The shopkeeper (forget his name) right near where the little boy is who greets you. He buys jewelry, books, keys, and other sundries.

2) The wizard up near the top left of the map in the tower will buy spare spell scrolls from you, along with some magical stuff from time to time. Also check back with him as you progress, as the spells he offers you get better and better as you go up in levels.

3) Conlan the Blacksmith, near the top center of the Kuldahar map (just right of the Inn) buys armor and weapons, and Yeti pelts.

4) Oswald Fiddlebender, the Gnomish Alchemist in the flying boat (top right of map) buys and sells potions of all sorts.

I'm not sure whether the Ilmater temple buys things or if it just sells them, as their prices aren't as good as Oswald's, so I rarely went there.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:52 PM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

*Doh!!* (I told you so) *smacks forehead*

Guess I got trigger happy - make that keyboard happy, lol. I haven't fully explored Kuldahar yet.

Thank all for you help.
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 06:47 PM   #5
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

as for the Vale; expect a lot of undead. if at all possible, obtain some +1 weapons at the soonest possibility. (some magic spells will work as +1 weapons too, like Flame Blade)
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:19 AM   #6
Wrathchild
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I sold one yeti pelt to the blacksmith, after that he refuses to buy any more of them, what's the deal with that?
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 10:18 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrathchild:
I sold one yeti pelt to the blacksmith, after that he refuses to buy any more of them, what's the deal with that?

He should still be buying them, only at a reduced price (the more you sell, the less you get for them. Very good economic engine...law of diminishing returns kicking in.)

Make sure you're clicking on the pelt itself, and not the description, in the sell window. If the description is highlighted in white, that means he should buy it.

Only thing that may cause him not to buy something is if you tried to pickpocket him and failed and he noticed. (Oops!)

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-11-2001, 06:44 PM   #8
Wrathchild
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well the pelts is grayed out, and I didn't pick pocket him either. It could be a glitch, cos I installed HoW & The luremaster, at the time.
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 11:26 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay...I have HoW installed when I played IWD, but not Luremaster. Not sure if this is a glitch caused by Luremaster...I sure hope not!

------------------
Old 10-12-2001, 12:53 PM   #10
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I haven't had that problem and i have How and Luremaster installed. As for the pelts, iirc, the merchant who buys keys will buy the pelts aswell. Try with him.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote