Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2001, 01:39 PM   #1
Jarex
Welcomed New User

HELP! I cannot hear any of the voices in the game. I get the background noice, but none of the character sounds, and none of the sounds at the prologe. My speakers are ok, I think it is the actual wav. files. I am running WinME, and when I go into the sounds folder in IWD program folder, and try to run the wav files they dont work. it tries to run them in Media player, then fails saying something like, file not supported. then when I try to play them in sound recorder they say that the file is the file is not a valid wav. file.
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Jarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 02:00 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

To me, it sounds like you are having problems getting the wav. files to be read in the correct manner. I can only say that I know what you are talking about, but I don't know if I can tell you how to try and correct it. Have you recently downloaded any type of MP3 reader, or updated mediaplayer, or got Winamp? Once, I had a wav. file but could not access it until I went into the programs directory and told the PC to assign that file to a certain file name that my PC could understand.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 02:16 PM   #3
Jarex
Welcomed New User

cheers, It is trying to defualt to media player, I have put in the media player 7. and am now downloading the upgrades for it. and Winamp, gonna see if they can open the files. Wot else do you suggest. I tried changing the file ext. to acm as that is wot all the sound files are in another folder.
Jarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 02:54 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

That is the extent of my knowledge. I usually mess around withsomething until it works. Let's see if I can find someone more experienced to come in and review your topic.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 03:22 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

This may sound stupid, but you don't have the wav volume muted in your volume control do you? Do you still hear windows chimes and stuff? What kind of sound card are you running? What kind of install for IWD did you do?

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 05:32 PM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi there! Have had this problem myself. If you have a new soundcard, make sure it is properly installed, patches and drivers brand new and so. Check all boxes and alternatives for sound. You have a soundcontrol for the card and one in settings. Look at the volumes too. Are you using a microphone on your PC? Sometimes when you use the microphone the card shuts down the wav playback.

Also, change the wav file back to the standard player. Mediaplayer and others may stir things up in the settings.

Just a few alternatives to check out..

Keep in touch if you still have problems and I will see if I can find some more help..

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote