Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 03:44 PM   #1
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
What about that Paladin Sword you find almost at the end of IWD.
The one that deals 1D8+4 dmg, +7 against evil opponents. That has to be one of the best weapons in the game and still it doesn't even show it's magical, I mean it doesn't have that blue border around it. Why is that? And if you sell it you only get like 5 gp. I almost didn't take it up when I saw it on the corpse since it didn't have that blue border around it. Anyone have an explanation to this? Did they make it like this just because they wanted people to miss it?

And another thing. That shield you make from the ...something skin. That has to be one of the worst deals in the game. Come on, 10.000 gp for a +1 shield with an additional +1 against slashing weapons. It would've been ok if I didn't already have better shields but when I got it all of my chars already had better shields. And I had expected a little more for 10.000 gp. Anyone agree with me on this one?

-Arwin Shadowsteel

[This message has been edited by Arwin Shadowsteel (edited 04-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Arwin Shadowsteel (edited 04-10-2001).]
Arwin Shadowsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:46 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It has been explained to me, though I am sure I don't remember every detail is that any armor or weapon that has been improved to better than normal standards is considered magical. I think the reasoning in this comes for monsters that have to be hit by magical weapons, better quality than conventional, and that involves stuff that is +1 or higher. It was discussed in a former post. I wish I knew why some glowed and some don't. It may be that the ones that glow can cast spells or have special defenses, aside from dishing out major damage. I hope that someone else can help me with this, especially if I am wrong.

------------------

Larry, Sell-Sword to the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:30 PM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I dunno what you mean with the blue thing. The icon looks like a normal sword, cause it was a normal sword that later got some powers (read the story in the item description), i think thats why they made it look like a normal sword.
If you mean that when you find it it doesnt have a blue background, thats why its already identified. Only items that you have to identify have that blue background.

If i havent understood you, please tell me

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi again!

I just couldn't come up with the correct word when I wrote the original message but I meant the blue border that you can see on all magical items after they have been identified. Hope that cleared some things up. And I read the item description and know that the sword was enchanted later on but since it now is enchanted I think it should have a blue border so that you can see that the sword is magical. And I also think it should be worth much more than 5 gp. Well, maybe the storekeep doesn't notice it's magical at first glance but if you let him try it he would probably notice it's magical. Well, that's just my opinion.

-Arwin Shadowsteel
Old 04-10-2001, 06:57 PM   #5
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And I'm almost certain that the sword counts as a magical weapon when determing hits against opponents who can only be hit by enchanted weapons. But since I haven't tried it I can't be totally sure.

And I'm going to correct my initial message now, hehe

-Arwin Shadowsteel
Old 04-10-2001, 07:30 PM   #6
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

it's the funky paladin sword. only paladins get it, so they made it special.. what's more special than a plus +7 sword? and since paladins are holy fighters they probably have virtues such as vlaor, justice and humility.. and what's more humble than an ordinary looking sword? (yet in the hand of a righteous paladin, it's the awesome bane of evil)... i think they just wanted to make it unusual.. as for the shield, it is a little rip off.... but, you didn;t necessarily get the GOOD DEAL...

SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
now take a pretty girl over to Dirty lew, and you'll get the shield for like.. 3,000gp. then take it to nym and tell him his prices are too high; when he offers you a sweeter deal, tell him he's a blockhead.. he'll finally offer you a more powerfull enchantment in less time for only 2,800gp.. i think it becomes ac bonus 3, +1 slashing and 50% fire resistance...
i've seen the item thru the editor, but never been able to find it in the actual game... but apparently Orrick the Grey can place an even more powerfull enchantment on the rhino sheild..
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 07:52 PM   #7
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, it looks like you finally can get a really good enchantment on that skin. Too bad I didn't think of that before I gave my skin to that stupid dwarf

Still I think he could have offered me a better deal, I mean, after all my Gnome warrior was kinda cute

-Arwin Shadowsteel
Old 04-10-2001, 08:14 PM   #8
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SPOILER

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I looked at all those shields in Dalekeeper now and noticed that the shield you get from Nym is:

AC bonus:3
15% Fire res
+1 vs missile

From Orrick:

AC bonus:4
+1 vs missile

From Dwarf:

AC bonus:2
+1 vs missile

So while both the two other shields are good, none of them is really great.
Anyway, I had some other questions regarding this. In order to get the better deal, do you have to have a female character?

And can you only make one of the shields or is it possible to make all three of them or perhaps two if you have more skins?
And to make the one with the help of Orrick, do you just give it to him?
I'm too lazy to try this on my own so I'd be greatful for any response.

-Arwin Shadowsteel
Old 04-10-2001, 08:16 PM   #9
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And that shield you get from the dwarf really has the best look according to me

Arwin Shadowsteel
Old 04-11-2001, 05:47 AM   #10
Windrunner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My feelings on this sword are that it is not magical at all, it draws its strength from the faith of the paladin using it and that is why it does not have the blue border. And as always, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

------------------

The Windrunner, Ranger of the Wolf Clan
Windrunner is offline   Reply With Quote