Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Right now I'm playing through with the infamous Kensai (12) - Theif. I've never dualed before, never played a Kensai before, and never gave the Heavanly Cheese Stick (the sword's in game colour even LOOKS like it's literal cheese) to anyone with more than one star in Katana.

This is a fun character, even though I'm in the downtime period and she's gone from a walking Slay Living spell (Katanas shouldn't have a stun setting ) to weak as a trap-disarming kitten.

I went for the level 12 dual as opposed to 13 as I have the "origional grandmastery" mod, and the extra 1/2 attack at my combat level just didn't seem worth an extra 500k experience in "development time."

My question is though, in my next playthrough I would like to play a slash-and-caster. And so I'm thinking of, yes, the even more infamous Kensai - Mage.

But here's the the rub for me:

Getting to 13 th level as a fighter takes 1 250 000 exp. Getting to 12 takes a cool 1 000 000 exp. Getting to level 14 as a mage takes 1 500 000 exp (1 125 000 exp for 13.) So a 13/14 Kensai - Mage would need 2 750 000 exp ( 2 125 000 for the 12/13 version.)

Now, that's not far shy of the SoA exp cap. I do have ToB, but my question (at last is thus):

For those of you who have played Kensai - Mages in a party (not solo; at lest 4 or so members incl PC) does it really take most of the game to reactivate a 13/14 (or even 12/13) Kensai mage? Power is fun, but I'd like to have a realized character before it's time to save some dippy elves.

My alternative idea would be a berserker (9) mage, for a more defensive oriented dual (lots of hps, rage is like a mini-spell trigger of immunities, etc.) Sure he won't easily toe to toe the Throne of Bhallers, but I'd have a fun and full, happy dual at a measly 500k, which you can get in chapter 2 before you even really start rolling (esp with the mage scroll cheese trick.)

So what's it like. When do you have a kensai (13) - mage reactivate? Is playing a "down time" PC for so long fun? When you get your abilities back, is there enough of the game left for the ride to have been worth it?

Fire away; I'd love to hear. My only previous "long term dual" was the time I made Imoen a thief (7) - mage (8) in BG1. That happens just at the exp cap, and even in a party of 4 she was barely ready in time for Durlag's Tower (which I did dead last.)
Mahokenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

It is not just the extra 0.5ApR that Lvl-13 gives you, but the additional Saving Throws as well. Time and time again, it has already been calculated and proven that Lvl-13 is the sweet spot for F->M under the ToB XP Cap.

If you want to go by the SoA XP Cap, you will have two sweet spots. Lvl-7 and Lvl-9.

When you regain back your abilities depend on how you went about racking up your XP. In the default game, it is possible to postpone quests until you have completed Chap5, which means that they will spawn higher level foes for you to defeat, which means more XP.

Party size of course, is also a factor.

By the way, +0.5ApR is not to be looked down upon, if you want to talk about damage output. Especially if you have Improved Haste, and the raw damage of the Kensai.

Comparisons and debates have been won and lost on the 'mere' difference of 0.5ApR.

Cheers.

[ 12-21-2006, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know that "only" another 0.5 APR can add up to a lot. It's just that with my current Kensai - thief I began to feel kind of bad about having a 0.5 APR above and beyond what the game had intended. And I wanted to start backstabbing soon. I saw that character as more of a finesse, "one weapon (not necessarily the CF, single style)/one strike is enough" kind of hitter. A sort of focused warrior that wins fights in a single stroke. I don't mind the power cut I took. I had wanted to play a theif in the first place, and decided to go this route (even starting off in BG1 as a level 1 fighter.)

Okay, so if I go for a Kensai - Mage it would be level 13. Playing a true class Kensai to level 13 is fine enough, but what's it like to play a character that doesn't hit its stride til chapter 6 of SoA. Is it fun and worth it?

Yes, I'd like power, but fun factor and development time seem to be an issue.

I'm also considering a Blade, so power isn't the only factor .

Edit: PS that was fast. Thanks!

PPS Saving throws. Bloody things. It's not like a human fighter gets good ones to begin with, eh? Do they have the worst ST table in the game? It's close to that (hence the yumminess of a Paladin.) Heavan knows how often I've had to dispell something or another off of Minsc, even when he's pretty high level.

I DID cheat myself a certain cloak from BG1 (kept it in my inventory) and I have BG1's Ring of Protection +2 for the same reason (I usually allow myself 2 items from BG1; a "in lieu of the pantaloons" item and a "if Minsc gets Boo I get something" item.)

Another edit:

I think what I'm trying to say is I'd like to hear a bit about other peole's Kensai (13) Mage attempts, say in parties of anywhere of 4 - 6. In terms of (yes) power, fun, handling the downtime, etc. Share with me , lest I plug umpteen odd gaming hours into a PC I won't really like.

[ 12-21-2006, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Mahokenshi ]
Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, Fighters have the best Saving Throws in the game( especially if they are Dwarves). Paladins are good too, thanks to their innate bonus. You may refer to SixOfSpades' online website for a comprehensive coverage of the various classes' Saving Throws tables.

Additionally, Minsc is a Ranger, and a Human one at that. He levels up slower than a Fighter, and thus his Saving Throws in the early beginning are pretty abysmal; but he will eventually have good Saving Throws( they peak at Lvl-21).

For a Fighter/Thief combination, if you want to go the route of one hit, one kill; you may entertain the thought of an Assassin->Fighter dual. However, this is not an easy dual to pull off if you are not comfortable with the game mechanics.

Kensai->Thief is certainly feasible, especially if you wield a Quarterstaff around, but Katanas are fine too. They have excellent backstabs thanks to their Kai ability which ensures maximum damage with each hit( barring Criticals).

The Berserker->Thief is the easiest to pull off, and one of the hardier ones around thanks to the Berserker's Rage ability.

The Wizard Slayer->Thief path is an unusual one, but with proper items equipped, you can easily abuse the game by making him into the Ultimate Tank. Healing from damage taken is possible with him, while having 100%+ Magic Resistance. Not easy to pull off though.
~~~~ ~~~~

As for reactivation of abilities, as I said before, you can easily postpone many quests for completion later.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks again, Dundee!

I'm building up quarterstaff now with my current character (and probably will "save" the leve 12 level up so I can specialize in it, and GM it by 24; if my calculations are correct.) The sword was for A) style and B) to actually put the Celestial Fury in the hands of a warrior better than Fade or Jan Janson. I usually toss it into the wolfskin bag; in spite of its reputation.

Rush of to Spellhold, eh? Might give that a whirl. In this game, I had enough money by day 2. I wasn't even trying. I visited the Radiant Heart, the Coppor Coronet, and the bridge district (murders); when Valen and Brus started bugging me. I told them both that, yep; I'd be right over; only to spend the money on, I think, some shield. Then I robbed Galen's house, just because.

Ahem.

Anyway.

By the way, I'd still be happy to hear other people's Kensai - mage war stories. I've been through SoA about four times so I'm nice and spoiled.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Just kick everybody (except a romantic partner, if you have one) out of the party after you dual-class, and buy/memorize every scroll you can. You'll make up a ton of that XP FAST!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote