Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Spoliers concerning a Tales area/quest:
Just tried taking on the three mages who form the 'reception' party on Ice Island, playing with Dark Side. The party: a gnome cleric-illusionist, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Xzar, and Montaron with the party at levels 3-5. (This is a game where I just want to see the dustups between inimical NPCs fight and so far J. & K. and X. & M. won't get it! Even when I have Jaheira and Xzar fistfight--nothin')

What I ended up doing was sort of interesting to see, I thought. This is a tough fight, and I expect Dark Side makes it even harder. I was getting my clock cleaned repeatedly trying to slug it out with them toe-to-toe. So I kept the party back in the adjacent room around corner and rested to disipate the enemy's protection spells. Then I protected my little gnome with as much spell protection as I had, gave him Algernon's cloak, and cast Invisibility 10' Radius on the party.

He then went and charmed the weakest mage to the far left. He immediately cast invisibility on himself again for safety. Then he charmed mage on the far right (the second strongest one) and again immediately cast invisibility on himself. I then controled the two charmed mages against the baddest one who uses Dimension Door. It was a fun battle.

After taking out the toughest one I set the remaining two against each other, elminating the weakest one first (because he was hasted). By that time they had exhausted all their spells. Then I moved my party in to finish off the last one standing.

It's fun and interesting to use charmed spellcasting NPCs, I think. I always like to see what they have up their sleeves. (Btw, another battle that is great fun in this vein is to charm Mad Arcand and use him aganist the ogres and orgrilons in the center of northermost sirene map. Mad Arcand is one tough little cookie.)
Old 02-12-2002, 02:36 PM   #2
Lavindathar
Harper

MINOR SPOILER BELOW OF DURLAGS:

Tis a tactic that I have used many a time, and it is a very good one. Indeed, the creators knew it was a good one, as they implement it into the Wyvern Cavern in Durlags. If you choose to accept of course

It's fun to play with a Sirine, a human warrior, a dwarven fighter, a hobgoblin archer and a Ogre. They are all very powerful, and they take them greater wyverns down!! And then I always pit the remaining members against themselves...then kill the last!