Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 10:04 PM   #1
LSRVIKING
The Magister

That just pisses me off!!!!! Those whiny families blaming it on games!

Source: The Sunday Times

Eidos Interactive has been discharged from a $5 billion lawsuit lodged against it two months ago. Families of the 13 victims of America's Columbine High School massacre brought the action, claiming video games caused the shooting by making violence pleasurable and disconnected from reality. Eidos publishes action games such as Final Fantasy, Urban Chaos, and Tomb Raider. But because Final Fantasy 7, the game that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold owned when they killed 13 people in 1999, did not involve guns, Eidos is in the clear. Eidos was one of 25 games companies facing the lawsuit, which still includes AOL Time Warner, Paramount, Sega, and Sony. Colorado's chief judge ordered that the complaint against Eidos be dismissed without prejudice.

LSRVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:29 PM   #2
Deathbecomesyou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well
parents want someone or something to blame
they dont want to blame the parents bc then theyd have to do something
they dont want to blame the other children who tormented them cuz then theyd have to do something
and they dont want to blame it on a psychological disorder that makes them want to kill people just cuz theyre psychos cuz then the kids are just scary and they dont wanna hear about it
so...they blame it on games because they dont like them
even tho its a pyschological fact that no one thing is the cause of any particular behavior they demand to place blame on this one thing as the cause
personally, i think its the other kids -p parents need to teach their kids not to harass/torment other kids cuz it depresses/enrages them, im a victim of this torment in middle school and high school, thank god most of them grew out of it in college or maybe id have shot some people by now
course its not just them that contribute to my problem -p its my parents too, they always belittle me and treat me like crap
sure theres other stuff that puts me in a murderous rage...but im not thinkin of it right now
Deathbecomesyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:40 PM   #3
LSRVIKING
The Magister

If I cant play the games I want to because of some stupid ass parents may their gods have mercy on their soul!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:43 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LSRVIKING:
If I cant play the games I want to because of some stupid ass parents may their gods have mercy on their soul!
LOL, that's an interesting twist!

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:35 AM   #5
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

i think the parents are bringing this to court to get money.

if a kid is messed up, he/she is messed up. Sure, they can send a message, but its how each person recieves the message. if what the parents are saying is true then why doesn't this happen more often? to us? we play violent games. and we are rewarded for that violence...so i say its all BS. they're after the money.

------------------
~ One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity ~
trex_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 04:32 AM   #6
LSRVIKING
The Magister

They should get money as compensation but not by getting the game companies in trouble. They should get money from the families of the killers.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:34 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Doesnīt US have a 15 or 18 year old label on the games?
Here we do, and games not suitable for kids, are not suitable...

The harshquestion I want to ask if is the parents have any clue how there kids were feeling and if they knoew that they played these games??

Donīt put blame on something easy, when it is probably something closer to home..

If they for example didnīt have access to guns for example.. Could the disaster have een avoided?

Were the kids harressed at school?

There are so many questions that needs to be answered before you put blame on something else..

Itīs tragic that alot of young people lost their lives, no matter where the blame should be put...

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 07:08 AM   #8
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

I don't get it... I know loosing a child is one of the most devastating and traumatic things that can happen to a parent.
but trying to get rich from the event is one of the most disgusting things I can think of, a complete and utter desecration of the memory of your child!
is western mentality really so fu**ed up materialistic that people will try to make $$ out of anything?

this makes me sick...
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 11:58 AM   #9
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Hmm.. I would've thought they would've said some crap like Vincent uses guns sue em! Now i've already posted my feelings on crap like this in the General Discussion forum, and now i'm going to contradict myself. I'ts stupid to even try to sue edios! How many violent movies and tv shows have those kids watched? What music did they listen to? You could go on and on with stuff like that. Videogames, movies, music, these had nothing to do with the fact that those kids attacked their school. Where these kids being picked on? Where there parents watching their actions? These should be the questions we're asking. What are we going to do go and censor absolutely everything? The world has plenty of negative influences other than entertainment. Lawyers should start looking at those for once.
And Wolgir yes America has age lables on games too. Except for a mature game you need to be 17 not 18.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Redblueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 03:27 PM   #10
Kwan Ya Shen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Filing a suit against game companies seems to imply that the that those games are more influential on their kids than the parents themselves are. Maybe the solution is to have better parents, not justt better games. Bear in mind that being a parent is a profession where you don't have to take an exam before you can practice it.
Kwan Ya Shen is offline   Reply With Quote