Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2001, 02:51 PM   #1
Piller
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey can anyone tell me what you get for beating the red dragon in watchers keep?

Boy is he hard I am at level 20 and I can't do it!! damn!!!

Hint how to beat him would be appreciated

thanx
Piller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 03:09 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If my book is correct, it is the Staff of the Ram, that can be upgraded later.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
Leonidas
Dungeon Master

If you have lower resistance and breach, you should have an easier time. My cav was abt lvl 25 and took him out almost by himself with H.A. and Greater Whirlwind. A well-timed breach helped a lot, but I hit with about 4 attacks before his stoneskin ever came up, as he charged in on his boots of speed. Mordenkainen's Sword helps, too. Pierce Shield from your mages will cause his MR to drop, too. Make sure that you have someone cast Remove Fear and PF evil before you enter, and buff up your strength any way you can.
After the first round of MR lowering, you can hit him w/spells, esp. MM and ADHW, or chain lightning. No fire spells!!!
Good Luck!

------------------
Be careful! I think it's a tr...
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

I'm lvl 21-22 and i just beat the crap out of that dragon ok, I'll admit it, I had to try it twice, because on the first try my pc got stuck in the corner and the dragon focused on him, so he died, but the second time around he went down.
I had no special tactic or strategy, just went in there, spread my party around and summoned a planatar and two bears. I hit him with greater malison and twice with lower resistance, after that all the magic missiles had some effect. minsc, keldorn and the planatar went in and started hacking away, while my mages threw magic missiles at him. then it's just about moving the person he's attacking around, so that he's kept nice and busy
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:44 AM   #5
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hell, did I miss a dragon?

Spoiler

I don't remember fighting a red dragon, but I do remember killing a green one (one of the three trials in the watcher's keep).

Any dragon is rather easy to kill with a spell sequencer (using a pierce magic then lower resistance) and moping up with area effect spells (for that matter any thing is easy to kill like this).

Where was the dragon?
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 09:23 AM   #6
Leonidas
Dungeon Master

Spoiler....

Yes, Scott, you did miss the red. I almost missed him myself. In the Githyanki camp, the room with the dragon statue/skeleton, there is a door in the south wall. Go through that, and you will be in a chamber similar to Adalon's in the underdark. Oh, be respectful first, they did a little work on his dialogue.

------------------
Be careful! I think it's a tr...

[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited 07-03-2001).]
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 09:36 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:

Any dragon is rather easy to kill with a spell sequencer (using a pierce magic then lower resistance) and moping up with area effect spells (for that matter any thing is easy to kill like this).

I actually beat that Green Dragon without using magic!
I have me, a ranger, dual wielding swords, Sarevok, with the Silver Sword, and Mazzy, with th un-upgraded version of the Sword of Mask. They attacked up close while Aerie, Imoen, and Jaheira shot projectiles at a distance. I just jumped in there and beat him up!. Note that may party ranges in level between 15 and 21. I admit, that was the easiest dragon of all the ones I have ever fought, though. He should not have been.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:39 AM   #8
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well firstly, have your mages, esp. fighter/mages, memorize Stoneskin spells. not just one, like 2 or 3 in case they get backed into a corner. and have your priests use Fire Resistance spells on the party. a plain Fire Resistance spell mixed with a Resist Fire/Cold will absorb half the damage from his breath; 2 fire resist spells do not work, i dont think. and try to get Sarevok to use a deathbringer assault. it brings him WAAAAAY down in health.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 04:33 PM   #9
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Spoiler

You know, I went through a room there and found a lich. (Stomped him but-good, it was nice that you could have only one char. go into the room for the fight.)

Oh well - won't be able to get to it for some time again (removed it from my old sys. and I'm creating a knew one). I guess I'll have something new to look forward to.

Yup, I also stomped the green dragon w/ just my player char. (berserker/cleric) with out using the spells, it was tough though.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote