Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Telepath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, first, hello, this is my first post at this forum.

Straight onto the reason I came here then...

I haven't played BG before. Just installed BG2, and ToB expansion shortly thereafter.

Anyway, my "problem"...

I am playing a Dwarven Cleric. Right now, I stand at 531000 XP. This puts me at level 10.

Also I have Jaheira in my party. As you know, she's _multiclass_ Fighter/Druid.

Jaheira is level 11 Druid with 263000 XP as Druid...

To sum it up, my character is so weak compared to the NPCs, it's almost laughable. I have problem to believe that this is actually correct. Jaheira is a better fighter. She's got more hit points. She knows more spells. How can an NPC have a higher level, as a multiclass, than my single-class Cleric, with half the XP?

Feedback appreciated.

Regards, Thomas

[ 05-05-2006, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Telepath ]
Telepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

The XP it takes to level up differs from class to class. Druids start out really fast, but they slow down for a very, very long time as well (many take Jaheira with them the whole game, and never have her pass 15th level as a Druid).

Cleric is one of the quicker ones. You've just got to stick with it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

IIRC there's a bug in the game which makes a C/R gain levels fastest. Correct me if I'm wrong tough.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Telepath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So, to sum it up, this is normal? Other people have played straight cleric and experienced what I do now? I just have to keep at it and it will balance out?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

It's normal. Trust in the cleric...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
SpongeLikeCow
Dungeon Master

Classes level at different rates. For example, a Cleric reaches level 10 at 450,000 exp while a thief would be level 12. Don't worry about it.

Here's a site with some excellent info.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2...lasses/tables/
SpongeLikeCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

if you have a higher constitution, your hp would be higher that they are now. If you are new to the bg series, and dungenos and dragons rules, you may be unfamiliar whith what each stat does for your charicter.
for a cleric:
Strength:
This will determine how good you are in melee combat. It determines how often you hit something (the stronger you are, the larger the chance you will hit the creature) and how much damage you inflict (stronger the better) and also how much weight you can carry in your backpack.
Dexterity:
This will add a modifier to your armour class. again the higher the better. a dex score of:
10-11 gives no bonus to your armour class (AC).
12-13 +1 to your AC
14-15 +2 to your AC
16-17 +3 to your AC
18-19 +4 to your AC
Dexterity also determines how good a shot you are with ranged weapons. Slings in your case.
Constitution:
This is how hardy you are. You will get more hit points per level up if you have a high constitution. the above dexterity table is similar to the one used when determinig how many extra HP you get per level. in stead of a bonus to your AC, the bonus is to your HP per level up. Constitution is also helpfull, as it gives yo ua better chance of saving against spells cast on you.
Wisdom:
This is important to you, as you are a priest. in your case a cleric. This will determine how many spells you can cast per day, per level. So this should be quite high if you want an effective cleric
Inteligence:
This is mainly for mages, as it effects how many mage spells you get per level.
Charisma:
This is how personally persuasive you are. you may be charming and nice, and it can help you talk your way out of tricky situations. It may also effect how potent your turn undead feat is. although i may be wrong about that.

hope this helped somewhat, you may find that your point distrobution was wrong when you generated your charicter, or it may help clarify things for you. Hopefully i am right, but some of the things i have said may be wrong, if i a, no doubt somebody will correct me as i am a bit of a novice in comparison to some of the veterans on the board.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Tim, those are 3e DEX mods, not 2e.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Telepath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm decently familiar to AD&D, but not so much familiar about the levelling system. I created my cleric like this:

STR 15
DEX 10
INT 16
WIS 18
CHA 12
CON 14

Thanks for the info. I'll just keep on playing then

[ 05-06-2006, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Telepath ]
Old 05-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator