Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
Tristan
Welcomed New User

Is it possible to have the Icewind Dale 2 voices in BG2? More specificly the fighter 5 voice from Icewind Dale 2.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I think it's possible to download the soundsets from FilePlanet, but FP's such a punk about its "free" downloads that I don't even bother anymore.

You might be able to copy-and-paste the soundset files from IWD2 to BG2. I don't have IWD2 installed at the moment, so I can't find out. Sorry.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Yes, you can, but it will take a little work. The sound sets are not identical for BG2 and ID, and since they used a proprietary format for the sound bytes, you can't listen to them when you transfer them.

What you will have to do is open the "sndlist" text files in the "sounds" folders. These tell you which sound bytes are used in which situation. Then, copy the ID bytes into a new folder inside the "sounds" folder in BG2. You will have to make some choices, here. IIRC, for example, BG2 has fewer battle cries than ID, so you'll have to decide which of the Fighter 5 battle cries you want, then name them according to the BG2 soundlist. ("Time to go on a killing spree" is my favorite. [img]smile.gif[/img] ) OTOH, ID doesn't have sound bytes for some of the BG2 situations, e.g. "in city" or whatnot. You can relabel some of the bytes ID uses that BG2 doesn't, but you'll get some strange results. Also, IIRC, BG2 doesn't have the "annoyed" comments ID has if you repeatedly click on a character without giving an order.

The process is more tedious than complex, but worth it IMO, since the ID soundsets are so good.

-- Mal