Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I seem to recall reading somewhere in this forum how it was possible to have more then one total conversion - something about seperate folders for each mod - and setting the root/path directory to BG2 main and something about CDs... only, I can't find it anymore :S And... I don't know how to do it. I don't suppose there is anyway anyone could enlighten me on this matter? Please? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Thanks in advance.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Ares

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Modding is where it's at these days, and is perhaps the best thing to come out of BG -- the fact that the game can continue indefinately in new incarnations. Istar, for instance, is an entirely new game. And, people who give work like this away for free are real gems. Since modding is going to be a large part of our crpg-ing, we've got to look for ways to simplify it and streamline it. Fewer people are likely to play Istar, for instance, if they think they have to kill their regular install of BG or go through a whole other session with the discs and the installation. They don't. Here's how.

The advice comes from forum member Rattledagger at teambg.net.

Install SoA --> ToB --> ToB Patch in a director c:\[#1] (normally by default c:\program files\black isle\bg2-soa)

Note: YOU ONLY DO ONE (1) INSTALLATION. Put the discs away before you hurt yourself!

Now copy all those files and folders in c:[#1] to another folder. For simplicity, I put it in c:\program files\black isle\Glory of Istar ("Istar" for short hereafter).

Now, edit your file baldur.ini you will see a part of it that looks like this:
HD0:=c:\[#1]
CD1=c:\[#1]
CD2=c:\[#1];c:\[#1]
CD3=c:\[#1]
CD4=c:\[#1]
CD5=c:\[#1]
Edit it, replacing all the "c:\[#1]" file folder identifications with "c:\Istar" which is where you have those folders now.

With a normal modding situation, you can save space by NOT copying the cd1-cd5 folders from the BG2-SoA folder -- that saves 1.6Gb on the new "installation" of the game. In that situation, you would only change the "HD0" line in Alias, and you would leave all the other CD file pointers pointing back at the original directory. That's how I do it for normal BG mods like weimer's.

However, because Istar uses completely new maps and voice sets and rules and, well... everything, I did not want to chance it by having the moded game folder pointing back the original. It may be perfectly fine to do it that way, and I'm certainly not qualified to know what makes a difference. But, as Istar just seemed to be a vastly different mod, as since I have like 45Gb free, I decided not to chance it.

Okay, back on track. Once you've made the second folder, copy the 80+MB installation file into your Istar folder, just so you'll know where you put it. Run the installation program. You will be prompted to install Istar into the c:\[#1] folder. DON'T. Instead choose "browse" and find your Istar folder. If you were wise like me, it'll be right there on the directory tree next to the c:\[#1] folder. Once you've chosen the file folder, let it run normally.

When all is done, make sure you copy a shortcut of the file c:\[Istar]\bgmain.exe to the desktop for ease of use. I also put a shortcut to my c:\prgram files\black isle on my desktop, so I can easily move about my mods.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Note that you theoretically could have a third and fourth and fifth mod folder. I have only done one so far, but I intend to do this, putting TDD in one, the normal mods (EoU, tactics, etc) in another, and hoping that IWG will come along someday for yet another. In these multiple folder instances, you will find that it may pay off big time to not copy all the cd1-cd5 folders as I mentioned above, saving yourself 1.6Gb of disk space a shot. Always make sure that at least the "HD0" value in your baldur.ini points the folder for the mod you're working in at the time.

If any of the game creators could speak to whether or not the cd1-cd5 folders can be left uncopied in the original folder, I'd appreciate it.
That seems to be what your looking for..just replace the mod given in the instructions with whatever mod(s) your going to be using.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Yes, thats it exactly. Thanks
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote