Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

I heard a rumor that it was possible to play bg on the bg2 engine with the same sprites and grafics as in bg2.
is this really true? and if so, do you need bg1?
this would be cool to do...
Old 09-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

There are two ways to do this. BGtutu is the easy way, I havent tried it myself but it takes a BG1 installation and inserts it into a BG2 install. The download is small, you do need both BG1 and BG2 installed for it to work.

BTtrilogy is the other one. This download is huge. The mark 1 download is 1Gb, but does not require BG1 to install (except in the legal sense). The later versions of the download are smaller, but I believe they require BG1 to install to some degree.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
Tancred
White Dragon

Scroll down until you come across the topic entitled 'BG1 Tutu Revealed'. There's some details of a program to convert all the data of BG1 into a BG2 mod. Yes, you'll need BG1 for this.

Either that, or use the search function to find details of BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy), which is a downloadable version of BG1 made for BG2. You won't need BG1 for this, but it's a 600MB download!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:33 AM   #4
Tyrion
Quintesson

ok
then i have some more questions
which one is more buggy?
and how do i go back to playing the 2?
also does mods on BG2 affect gameplay for bg1 on the bg2 engine?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:39 AM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
BG1tutu is the newer one so maybe slightly more buggy than BGT, but don't quote me on that. It's also supposed to be more user friendly than BGT for the installation. Do a search on both using the forums search function and you're bound to find a few.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

I have tried both and have since deleted Tutu, if that's any indication of my preference.

I believe BGT to be better as it allows you to continue with your BG1 party stats and all straight into BG2, plus it feels overall more cohesive since the new map includes all areas from both games and expansions. Of course 650MB for Mark III is a big price to pay if you're on dial-up.

EDIT: Just for the record, you do need both BG1 and ToTSC installed for Mark III, though you can uninstall them after the installation.

[ 09-23-2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Jonni Voodoo ]
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:52 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Anyone know if there are plans in the future to make BGT not require a TOB installation?

Old 09-23-2003, 04:24 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Since I dont know why ToB is required in the first place its hard to say. My feeling is that the major problem is that ascension is incorportaed in BGT (for reasons unknown) and theres no easy way to extricate it. But you would have to ask bardez himself.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #9
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
I think BGT requires ToB because it was from the start intended as the Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BG, SoA, and ToB--I know ToB is an expansion, but it does conclude the story)

The whole purpose behind BGT was to allow you to play from a 0 exp character all the way to the conclusion of ToB. With that goal in mind, it's much easier to code for SoA+ToB as a unit rather then first for SoA, and then try to add ToB support later.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:20 PM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Just realized one more question. Umm.... should you install BG1tutu if you have the Baldurdash Fixpack installed? I have it but want to be certain before downloading and doing anything. I'm pretty sure this wasn't answered in the other topic concerning BG1tutu.