Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
dulouz
Manshoon

Is there any reason to solo as a pure fighter type? Won't you miss out on equipment that is locked up? And, for example, when helping Nalia, isn't the door locked that leads into her castle just after you go through the "secret" door outside? So aren't there places you just can't go without either a "Knock" spell or some theiving skills?

Is it possible to multiclass, or dual class for that matter, a barbarian? i only tried with a halfling, and it seemed only pure fighter was available in multiclass with other classes.

just curious

dulouz.
dulouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #2
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

AFAIK any lock that must be opened in order to advance the storyline can be broken with strength. Just attack the lock in question using your sword cursor. In addition, if you happen to have DUHM as a special ability you can use that to boost your STR.

It isn't legally possible to multi- or dual class a barbarian, but it can be done with Shadowkeeper.

[ 04-05-2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Desuma Malevois ]
Old 04-05-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
dulouz
Manshoon

ah, i've tried that with non-critical locked items (including the locked door in nalia's castle) and it never worked with Minsc doing the bashing. i guess the developers were smart enough to do something about storyline related items.

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:
AFAIK any lock that must be opened in order to advance the storyline can be broken with strength. Just attack the lock in question using your sword cursor.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:47 PM   #4
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

D'oh!! I was editting my post above to answer the second part of your question while you were replying. Sorry about that - I guess I should have just made a new post. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 12:02 AM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Minsc's STR score gives him a 40% chance of bashing things open, which should be roughly equivalent to a 40% Open Locks score. This is why the Crom Faeyr is so valued for soloists, as its 25 STR grants an 80% chance of bashing success. (Also, all soloing classes except the Druid can use either the Crom or a Knock spell to get around locks.)
Old 04-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #6
dulouz
Manshoon

interesting, thanks all.

dulouz.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:35 AM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
...(Also, all soloing classes except the Druid can use either the Crom or a Knock spell to get around locks.)
Can Monks use War Hammers?
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 AM   #8
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
Quote:
...(Also, all soloing classes except the Druid can use either the Crom or a Knock spell to get around locks.)
Can Monks use War Hammers?[/QUOTE]Nah, they can only use one-handed Thief type weapons, eg. Short swords, long swords...etc.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:17 AM   #9
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

I currently finished soloing a pure classed Kensai without using any thieves. All the items in locked boxs aren't worth getting for. While I soloed, I only brought Aerie for a few reasons... One, to prevent the game from ending each time when my Kensai is Charmed, dominated, mazed...etc. Two, to do the romance...(which i screwed up after sleeping with the drow women...) And three, I use her as my medic after battles ( I cant be stuffed waiting to regenrate). While I was soloing, Aerie only memorised defensive spells... and she never hit anything... My Kensai butchered everything... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 04:56 AM   #10
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Minsc's STR score gives him a 40% chance of bashing things open, which should be roughly equivalent to a 40% Open Locks score. This is why the Crom Faeyr is so valued for soloists, as its 25 STR grants an 80% chance of bashing success. (Also, all soloing classes except the Druid can use either the Crom or a Knock spell to get around locks.)
Should probably be noted that a Bashing force of 10 doesn't give you a 10% chance of bashing any lock open. Your own bashing force is checked against the lock level, and thus your own bashing force has to exceed a certain level to even have the slightest chance of breaking the lock.