Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? When must one or the other be used?

Secondly, I am again having the "problem" of multiple games running concurrently, and would like to play with different configurations. Do the mods only affect the SoA folder, or do they dink with Windows Setup, too? Can I install vanilla SoA/ToB + official patch, copy the entire folder for as many games as I care to play, install the mods I want in each, then just rename the folder containing the game I wish to play to "BGII - SoA"? It seems like it should work, since I can't find Regedit references or anything, but just wanted to make sure.

Thirdly, is there any reason I could not port that vanilla SoA/ToB + Official Patch to my mass storage device and port it back when I want to try out a different mod, to avoid having to spend the hour or so swapping CDs? Again, I can't think of anything, other than the license agreement, which I am pretty sure most of the mods violate, anyway...

P.S. It comes at a bad time for me as well, what with payroll, bonus checks, taxes, withholding, etc., but I'll get something in the mail today.
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The original Baldurdash Fixpack covers more bugs than the Remix version. All WeiDU Mods are made to work with the original version to the best of my knowledge, so it is a win-win to install the original version.

As with most games, BG2 affects the registry as well, so mass folder copy&paste will not work. Far better is to backup your override folder, dialogue.tlk file, and Chitin.key file.

Back them up after you patch and fixpack your game. Each time you want to try something new, simply restore them.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks. If there is never a situation where I would prefer the REMIX, I think I'll just dump it, so I don't get the two confused.

Right, BG2 affects the registry, but as far as I know, mods do not, do they? My understanding is that their changes are entirely in the override folder, dialogue.tlk file, and Chitin.key file (ODC), so you could "modswitch" by moving around ODC, but you then have to make sure you have the right set of ODC before you load a savegame.

I know I did a poor job explaining, but my thought was to have several parallel folders, complete with all the files, including CD2, etc, then rename the folder I want to play to "BGII - SoA" whenever I want to play that particular game. That way, the screenshots, portraits, sounds, configurations and savegames are for that particular mod only, no need to remember which savegames, etc., go with which mods.

As long as the mods only affect things in the "BGII-SoA" folder and subfolders, I don't think there is any reason "modswitching" by renaming the entire 3 gig folder shouldn't work. Or am I missing something?

[ 03-31-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:59 AM   #4
jcompton
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
Thanks. If there is never a situation where I would prefer the REMIX, I think I'll just dump it, so I don't get the two confused.
Remix actually covers some bugs that core Baldurdash at the moment does not (that was one of the motivations, after all) but since Kevin Dorner is back with a vengeance and Remix has been dogged by some bugs, the Remix author has more or less hung up his efforts. However, Dorner has said that he intends to take things in a Remix-style WeiDU install direction over time. Dorner is also getting caught up implementing the extra Remix-fixed bugs as well as a whole slew of others. He's running a forum now over at http://forums.fwstudios.net if you want to track the progress.

Quote:
Right, BG2 affects the registry, but as far as I know, mods do not, do they? My understanding is that their changes are entirely in the override folder, dialogue.tlk file, and Chitin.key file (ODC), so you could "modswitch" by moving around ODC, but you then have to make sure you have the right set of ODC before you load a savegame.
There is in fact a "mod switcher" program at TeamBG that will automate this process for you, although the universe of incompatible mods is actually quite small.

The one component you left out of the equation, if you install any WeiDU mods, is the WeiDU.log file, which you would also want to swap back and forth between configurations.

[ 03-31-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: jcompton ]