Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
daan
Silver Dragon

I couldnt find it in the Spell Reference, so I thought I'd throw it in the group [img]smile.gif[/img]

My 3-man party only has one man who's immune to level-drain. Which means Improved Bodhi kills the other 2 within 2-3 rounds as soon as she sees them.

My one man is a Shapeshifter Druid, but he cant tackle Bodhi on his own.
He can manage to get her to near-death the first time, but then she gets her second breath and that's just too much. Ironskins and other spells dont last forever. My only HLA ( implosion ) doesnt even begin to deal anywhere near the damage that is needed to bring her down and even without her level drain affecting me: She has a low AC, Low THAC0 and High attacks per round dealing High damage

Newayz, Nature's beauty wont work because of her Magic Resistance, Fire-storm doesnt deal enough damage, she avoids it and it lasts too short ( I had 4 firestorms and that didnt even do it ).

All I can think of now is to use Vhailors Helm for a little Diversion, while I cast -Harm- to get her out of the way .... will it work ?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Alson
Galvatron

Probably. [img]smile.gif[/img] It seems reasonable that Harm will bypass Magic Resistance.

I have an idea... why won't you try it out for us? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #3
daan
Silver Dragon

Lets make it a race [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Is your Druid unable to cast Negative Plane Protection or something? That usually takes care of the level drain problem for a while.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:06 PM   #5
daan
Silver Dragon

LoL, yeah .. for an awesome 5 rounds that is ...
Considering that I wont be able to cast it mid-fight ( she has a tendency to not let you finish things that take a while ) .. I'll have to cast if before the fight. It's going to take a whole lot more than 5 rounds to bring her and second_breath her down

I really dont understand why they put a 5 round-limit on the spell, it makes it useless
Old 03-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

As a fan of Harm, I can tell you straight off that it does not bypass Magic Resistance.

This is not a big issue though... since there are multiple ways to lower Magic Resistance. Spell Trigger with x3 Lower Resistances is evil. Many, many ToB Bosses fall to the Cleric/Mage( aka Aerie)'s Tactic of Time Stop + Lower Resistance + Harm + Magic Missile.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
This is not a big issue though... since there are multiple ways to lower Magic Resistance. ... ...
If i remember correctly from other posts, Daan's party has no means of casting neither Lower Resistance nor Pierce Shield. Daan - confirmation? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-20-2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
daan
Silver Dragon

confirmation [img]smile.gif[/img]

A side note; I'm wondering how the hell an Assasin is supposed to do this.
My lvl 23 Assasin has nothing on her ... 5 regular traps make her regeneration usefull for a few rounds and his THAC0 doesnt cut .. her.

I have UAI-ability ... and I suppose you could use some scrolls to get the job done. But were I lvl 22, I'd be dead for certain. Same for my Kensai, he's lvl 19 I think ( has 1 HLA ), and doesnt even come near the AC required to protect from her THAC0 ( Shapeshifter = -13, and even that is worthless ).

Even with the upgraded Mace of Disruption, making him immune to lvl drain, the sheer damage she inflicts per hit would do a Kensai in.

I have actually managed to kill her, but I dont like the way I do it.
I make my Assasin go clean the stairs or something, while my Kensai hides behind the door to the round chamber.
My Shapeshifter-Clone (Vhailor) takes the initial punishment, and both of us druids take care of her first fight.
*second breath*
Clone is dead/ unsummoned , I take her on solo, while my Kensai occasionally pops out to throw his knive .. whenever she goes after him, he closes the door and she refocusses on my shapeshifter.

As I said, traps arent damaging enough .. arrows are only +2 ( wont hit ), my Assasin cant hit her with his sword, my kensai cant face her in combat .. its just the shapeshifter and it pisses me off.

I *dont* want to use UAI-scrolls to make this fight easier unless its absolutely necessary. ( I cant stand magic at the moment ).

P.s. Been wondering and will test myself if I get the oppertunity to play again ( might be awhile ) .. but :
If a creature ( f.e. Bodhi ) can see through invisibility .. is she still backstabable ?

My Assasin remains unseen by others, .. its just Bodhi that sees him. But if I distract her with my Shapeshifter and he takes a swing at her back while technically invisible .. is it going to be a backstab ( septuple damage ) ?

I tried a few times, but I dont think my Assasin managed to hit her even once ( Short sword of mask +4 ).

Oh, and also: Even with a septuple modifier, the average damage per backstab lies around 70 or so .. my max. was 170 , my minimum ( septuple x ) was 28 or something. Its usually around 50 - 70 ... seems kinda low to me
Old 03-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, I have never done improved Bhodi... However...

Summon. LOTS of summons. Use the Helm to break the summon limit. Fire Elementals, Earth Elementals, Wand of Summoning, what ever you can muster. And pig pile her. While she is busy with your summons, wack her with the Mace of Disruption, Fireseeds (Works well against undead) hit her with everything you have and then some. When in doubt, always use overwhelming numbers.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #10
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by daan:
P.s. Been wondering and will test myself if I get the oppertunity to play again ( might be awhile ) .. but :
If a creature ( f.e. Bodhi ) can see through invisibility .. is she still backstabable ?
Yes. Just did it myself, actually. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Not that it did any good... the so-called "Minor" Avatar of Sekolah is kicking my posterior. I swear, doing the Imp. Sahuagin City with a level ~11 party and no Shield of Reflection is one of the hardest things i've ever done in my entire BG2 career.