Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-01-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
I was reading Six's BG guide which gives a method for changing NPC portraits in BG1 by just naming a custom portrait with the proper NPC's name and putting it into the Portraits directory. I have tried to use this method on a BG2 game with no luck. Is there a way to give NPC's custom portraits in BG2?

If possible, I would like to avoid using SK, as it proves much too tempting if I have it installed on my machine.

I have tried naming .bmp files AerieL, AERIEL, JaheiraL, and MINSCL and using both brand new games, saved games with NPCs already in party, and a saved game just outside the circus tent to test meeting Aerie.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

The easiest and least obtrusive method would be to use Shadowkeeper.

Unfortunately the link escapes me right now.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I belive all the portraits used in BG2 have an N, for "New," in front of the filename, so you're likely to hit it with names like NAERIEL.BMP and the like.

JAHERIAS.BMP is the old, while NJAHERIS.BMP is the new, and so on. For the exact names, you can download the Portrait Manager (the link to it is in the Links appendix on my site), which will give you the precise names of every portrait used in the game (besides making it easier to shuffle your portrait files from 1 directory into another, etc).
Old 02-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
I belive all the portraits used in BG2 have an N, for "New," in front of the filename, so you're likely to hit it with names like NAERIEL.BMP and the like.

JAHERIAS.BMP is the old, while NJAHERIS.BMP is the new, and so on. For the exact names, you can download the Portrait Manager (the link to it is in the Links appendix on my site), which will give you the precise names of every portrait used in the game (besides making it easier to shuffle your portrait files from 1 directory into another, etc).
Thanks for the tip about the names [img]smile.gif[/img]

I tried dl'ing the portrait manager, but it did not find the in game portrait files, only the custom portraits that I have collected. None of the BG2 directories seem to have the (NPC).bmp files in them (I found RoyoL.bmp in the override directory--part of a mod?)

What solved it for me was opening up SK, and looking at the portrait list available for changing portraits there, which has the full list (I've done a full install, so where are those files hiding anyway...oh well)

In any case, problem solved, since I now have the correct names.

Thanks, and great job on the BG guide too!
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote