Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 05:46 PM   #1
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

I gotta couple questions for the wise people who seem to know so much that i do not. First off, i was reading through Cereck's battle strategy thread and i saw many of them were entitled with and "improved" thing, for ex: "Improved Irenicus battle". Is this after installing some kind of mod, or is this just the changes that occur after installing TOB.
Also, I need to know where to dl a safe experiance cap remover. I dabbled in them a while ago, but was turned off to the idea once i read that it does remove the experiance, but DOES NOT give you the thaco and level bonuses that comne with the higher levels. Is this true? If it isnt id really appreciate it if someone could tell me where i can dl a good one.
Lord Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
rhapsody407
Manshoon

yes, the xpcap only gives you more health. the characters are well-balanced at their highest level...if thaco kept going down, you gained access to more high level spells, and your saves went down until you were level 40, your character would be undefeatable. Though i'm sure someone could mod the character level up to the specifications that he wanted, if they wanted to have thaco lower every 5 levels after the max, i'm sure it's possible.

secondly...the "improved" you are referring to comes from an installed mod, it makes everyone tougher, and (i think) increases the A.I. on some of the bosses. (dont trust me on that one).
rhapsody407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Thnx. Where can i dl that mod (this is way too easy) and also, if i get a xp cap remover, will it readjust my thaco and saving throws when i start TOB, or am i better off just stayin lvl 18 and wastin the xp in SOA
Old 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM   #4
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

The Level 50 XP Cap Extender will treat the additional levels as regular level ups and give the corresponding bonuses, all in accordance to the standard AD&D rules [img]smile.gif[/img] THAC0 ceases to drop at levels 21-25 (depending on class) regardless of whether you have an XP Cap remover or not. Saves will continue to go down though, but not even they will drop below 0, so fighters don't have much to gain there.

The benefits are much greater for classes and kits with inherant bonuses based on Level, such as Swashbucklers, Kensais, and Archers. A Kensai could for instance get as much as +16 THAC0 and Dmg at lvl 50 [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's a good XP Cap modifier, maybe the best [img]smile.gif[/img] Also leaves a very clean XPLevel.2DA file, which is good if you ever feel like modifying it.

To answer your other question: This is the place to go to if you're looking for mods. The Tactics Mod contains all those Improved encounters you've read about.

[ 01-23-2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 01-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Just what i need. My thanks to you
Old 01-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #6
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Oh one last thing. The Ease of Use Mod says it includes an Xp Cap remover. If i install both this and the lvl 50 cap remover will there be conflicts?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

I've never used the Ease of Use mod, but if it's a Weimer mod, then it should allow you to install each component seperately. I believe it should be possible to skip the installation of that particular XP Cap remover if you fear there will be conflicts (though I think the latter will just replace the former)