Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 02:51 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I notice there has been a trend lately to write topic titles that are vague, if not extremely vague about the issue that lies within.

Most of them are nothing more than the single word, "Spoiler", and that is it. Now while I apprentice and thank you for placing a Spoiler tag in your topic title, think about it for a moment. It kind of defeats the purpose.
Okay, that should be enough reflection time. Now allow me to explain what I mean.

Without indicating what kind of spoiler you have in your thread, you force people to guess whether it is safe to enter the thread. Say you have a problem in Chapter 4 and make a thread to ask for help.

People who have reached Chapter 6 would have been able to help you, but wait! What if the thread was about Chapter 7 spoilers? Who knows, they certainly would not, since all they know is... the thread contains spoilers, just not what kind of spoilers.

So you essentially cut yourself off from a fair portion of players who might have been able to help you, because they are in the dark about what you want to know so to speak.

Therefore, consider putting a general remark in your topic titles the next time, including the spoiler tag when necessary.

Some examples will be the following,

"Chapter 4 Spoilers"

"Final Battle Spoilers"

"Yoshimo Spoilers"

"Windspear Hills Spoilers"

"Weapon Parts' Locations Spoilers"

Etc... ...

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: No need to bump this.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 03:08 AM   #2
Charlie
Lord Ao

Then let it sink as befits it
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 03:20 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Then let it sink as befits it
I'm not sure what your beef is with me, but you are welcome to discuss it over with me in Private Message. [img]smile.gif[/img] Cheers.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:55 AM   #4
Charlie
Lord Ao

DELETED BY Charlie

[ 11-23-2002, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 11-23-2002, 04:14 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

EDIT] Eh? You have deleted your post?

Since that is the case, I will delete mine as well. [img]smile.gif[/img] Take heed that I do welcome feedback( in Private Message), whether they be positive and negative( so long as they are constructive). I know I am not infallible, so comments are welcomed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-23-2002, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:22 AM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

Talk about Sods Law. I deleted my post as you posted yours. As I type this I haven't read your post but obviously will do. I now wish I'd left my post so that my words and your response were read in context but alas it is not to be.
I'm not sure that I'll post again tonight, but be it known to all readers that I know and respect that everything you write you do so with the very best of intentions. My hat is off to you.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:31 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

No problem, and thanks.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:33 AM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

If we are to put what sort of spoilers in the title, the title can become sort of long sometimes. What I suggest, is to do what lightweave did in his "Asylum Yoshimo question"-thread. He put a spoiler in the title, just a "(spoiler!)", and then, the first thing he wrote in his post was:
"I have a qeustion concerning the Asylum quest.", followed by spoiler-tags.
Much better if you ask me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:43 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
If we are to put what sort of spoilers in the title, the title can become sort of long sometimes. What I suggest, is to do what lightweave did in his "Asylum Yoshimo question"-thread. He put a spoiler in the title, just a "(spoiler!)", and then, the first thing he wrote in his post was:
"I have a qeustion concerning the Asylum quest.", followed by spoiler-tags.
Much better if you ask me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
That kind of topic title is exactly what I am promoting. Some threads actually just have "Spoiler!" for their topic title, and that's it. Lightweave gave a general idea about what the topic was about by writing, "Asylum Yoshimo", followed by a spoiler tag. This by default, already lets the reader know what to expect without even entering the thread.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #10
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
That kind of topic title is exactly what I am promoting. Some threads actually just have "Spoiler!" for their topic title, and that's it. Lightweave gave a general idea about what the topic was about by writing, "Asylum Yoshimo", followed by a spoiler tag. This by default, already lets the reader know what to expect without even entering the thread.
A good idea, it's just that sometimes I've seen topic-titles so long that they mess up the whole forum. Like that the 'box' that shows the most recent post in a forum takes 70% of the screen, because of the title of the post, which then forces the forum name and description to take very much space vertically. This makes the forum look all screwed up. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But I guess it also depends on the name of the one who had the last post in the long-title thread. Which has a very little chance of happening.

Hmm, from the looks of it, I'm the only one who's talking only nonsense here. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Sorry, you're right again, ofcourse.
You're doing a good modding job, Dundee. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote