Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 06:30 AM   #1
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

First I'd like to say that the Improved Mages from the tactics mod are *SO* awesome. Finally you get the chance to square off against powerfull enemy wizards and liches in a decent fight (they're still stupid tho, I caught 'mage' [cool name black isle ] casting pierce shield at me, while I had no spell prots [wait, it lowers resistance to, hmm, good for him ). Now its really like a magical chess game, so cool.

But then there's the thing about them casting Improved Mantle and Protection from Energy. Now IM is of no real significance (it nullifies the DMG done by your MMM, but they still hit thus disrupting their spellcasting) to a solo wizard, but prot from NRG is quite a pain. Now, is PFE a combat protection (i think not) or a spell protection and how do you get rid of it? I cant try breaching for the lack of scrolls (im in the planar sphere) and I dont have dispel/remove magic.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

It is a combat protection, and lasts for one minute per level of the caster. If the caster is level 10, then it will last for 10 minutes. However... they still fail horribly against a Skeleton Warrior or two.

PS: Improved Mantle does not nullify Melf's Minute Meteors, only Protection from Magical Weapons can. What happened is that they have Protection from Fire and Stoneskins.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Dundee is correct, Protection from Energy is a combat protection. My manual states that protection from energy lasts for 1 round/level. Is this a mistake or not?

Spells that will NOT get rid of Protection from Energy:
  • Secret Word
  • Spell Thrust
  • Spell Strike
  • Khelben's Warding Whip
  • Ruby Ray of Reversal
  • Pierce Shield
  • Pierce Magic
  • Dispel Magic (could just be too high of a gap between my mage and Aerie)
Tried Remove Magic, but it doesn't affect party members, so it didn't work. The only spell that worked was Breach.
I tried every spell/combat protection remover that Shadow Keeper had listed, the only one that worked was breach. Remove Magic MAY work, it just didn't work in my trial because i had to use party members. Dispel, also MAY work, there was a bit of a level difference in my party.
EDIT] Dispel Magic does work, tried it with Keldorn's version. This leads me to believe that Remove Magic will work as well.

[ 11-08-2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: White Lancer ]
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:56 AM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

White Lancer, Dispel and Remove Magic WILL remove any spell and combat protection in the game, excluding Spell Immunity : Abjuration, of course.

Their only problem is that they are level depndednt.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:20 AM   #5
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Ok, well I cant breach or dispel, so I'll just have to change my tactics. I figure ruby ray and some skels will do. Although he does use spell immunity:abjuration sometimes, which makes me use Pierce Shield which I dont have yet. Spiffy!
Old 11-08-2002, 11:50 AM   #6
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Oh well...
Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

One turn per level.

ADD] Oh wait, Protection from Energy. Dang... I need another cuppa. Yes, Protection from Energy lasts for 1 round per level.

[ 11-08-2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 11-08-2002, 05:21 PM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

A follow-up on the above: I had a chain-contingency on 50% hp -> prot from NRG, ADHW and stoneskins. The contingency went of, before that I casted spell immunity:abjuration to prevent breaching. Now an enemy *did* cast breach and gone were the combat protections. Am I missing something?

[ADD] And further down the road I re-casted stoneskins and prot from mag NRG and then I got a remove magic on my head, which said spell ineffective. Whats *UP*?

[ 11-08-2002, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]
Old 11-09-2002, 02:02 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The only counterspell that Spell Immunity:Abjuration will protect against, is Dispel Magic and Remove Magic.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:30 AM   #10
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

But Breach is an Abjuration spell and I'm protected against all spells from the school of Abjuration. But I can still be breached? Thats really not right.