Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Spells for DC

Earlier today, I decided to make a minor break from FRUA for the DC spells available to magic users - I decided that instead of one level 9 monster summoning spell, I would include all 7 monster summoning spells at their appropriate level.

I am also considering getting rid of the 5th level "Iron Skin" spell, as it was made up for FRUA.

I will be adding all of the rest though. But, in the spirit of DC being more than FRUA is, I will consider adding additional spells.

This is where you come in. I would like the community to suggest some spells. Here are the caveats - I reserve the right to reject any suggestion without giving a reason (but of course you can add it yourself); I will only accept suggestions from 1e AD&D and as such they must come from one of the books of that era.

What I would like from you for your suggestion is the name, the source (which book, etc), the level and who can use (cleric, druid or magic user). I will consider suggestions form Dragon magazine, but make no promises.

So, suggest away.

Last edited by manikus; 01-12-2010 at 10:43 PM.
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Default Re: Spells for DC

Hmm - I don't know what is NOT in FRUA, on the other hand... perhaps all of the Unearthed Arcana tome and of course druid and illusionist spells? Any that are easy to code should definitely be included

1e did not have as many new "extra" spells in modules and such as 2e (which had lots), but here are two from Gary Gygax's Greyhawk:

Quote:
Murlynd's Ogre (Conjuration/Illusion)

Level: 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: 3"
Casting Time: 4 segments
Duration: Until destroyed
Saving Throw: See below
Area of Effect: See below

Explanation/Description: When the spell caster brings this dweomer into play, a hissing
veil of odd-colored vapors shoots upward, and from behind this screen of clashing, misty
smoke steps a ogre-like figure of obscene bulk and hideous visage. All creatures of 4 or
fewer hit dice or levels of experience will flee in fear for 1-4 rounds and spend a like
period recovering from trembling. They must save vs. Spells before having sufficient
courage to return. Creatures of 4+ hit dice/5th level or greater must save vs. Spells to
avoid the fear reaction noted above, although those of 8+/8th level save at +4 on the die.
While it appears fearsome, the Ogre is but a wraith-like creature with no form or
substance. It inflicts but 1-4 points damage when it attacks (as an ogre). Although it can
be struck only by magic weapons, the thing is destroyed by a mere six points of damage.

The material components for this spell are any bit of ogre (hair, nail paring, etc.) and a
piece of horsehide.

Murlynd's Void (Conjuration/Alteration)

Level: 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: 3"
Casting Time: 6 segments
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: See below
Area of Effect: 1' diameter/level

Explanation/Description: Murlynd's Void creates a gaping, black hole in some surface within
spell range - floor, ceiling, wall, ground, etc. The opening lasts for as many rounds as
the caster has levels of experience. The Void is a vacuum-like gate to another place
(extra-dimensional non-space). Small, light items (such as paper, leaves, and other like
items of less than 1/4 pound weight) within 10' of it will whirl up into the air in a
vor-tex, disappearing into the pitch-black opening. Small fires in the 10' radius of the
Void edge will be extinguished as the air is drawn into the vacuum. In tightly closed
spaces of under about 20,000 cubic feet (under 30' x 30' x 25') the atmosphere will be
thinned to make breathing impossible for one turn after the Void disappears as well as
during its existence, unless ventilation is somehow extablished. Creatures immediately
above the opening created by the casting of the spell must save vs. Spells or be lost in the
non-space until they are somehow rescued, find a way out, or die. Those within 3' of its
edge, or its surface (if on a wall, ceiling, or otherwise not underfoot) must save vs.
Paralyzation or likewise be drawn in and be lost. Magic resistance withstands the spell
effects.

The spell components are a hollow sphere of black glass and a strip of paper given a
half-twist and glued together at the ends.
Besides, there are some spells that are only granted to clerics of certain deities, like:

Pholtus: Dispel Darkness, Glow, Reflect (all are special spells available 1/day after a certain level)

(The later Greyhawk Adventures book had more spells, but it is border 1e-2e (it supported both rulesets).)

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Come to think of it, another thing to think about is spell rarity - does it matter that PCs can just pick Murlynd's Void when they are of a level high enough to cast it? This spell would normally be highly rare, and not known to most casters (except for maybe Murlynd himself).

My Blog:
Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: Spells for DC

I would like you to be a bit more specific than "all of them".

I'm thinking of something in the range of 10 to 20 extra spells.

I've attached a list of FRUA spells for you non-FURA folk, I'm sorry I didn't do that before.

As for rarity of spells, the designer can decide in the spell database if the spell is autoscribed upon gaining a new level or if it can even be scribed at all. This could be a spell that is only known by one NPC, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SPELLS1.TXT (5.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
Jadefang
Dungeon Master

Clerics need a version of Prot. From Good, 10' Radius. The magic-user has it and it's supposed to be a reversible spell, so I don't get why clerics don't, considering they can cast the singular version at level 1 too (unless it's some 1e rule that I don't know of).

Honestly, I don't actually have much knowledge of 1e to make suggestions, unless 2e stuff can be downgraded.
What new druid spells have you added so far, though?
Jadefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Clerics are limited by alignment, although there is not a hard rule, I think. In general, good clerics should not be granted spells that are not in agreement with their deity's ethos.

My Blog:
Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
nologgie
Dungeon Master

That's why I like Lawful or Chaotic Neutral clerics. They can bust on either side!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

Prot. from Good 10' radius is already added for clerics.

Here's the list of druid spells I've already got:

Druid Spells
===Level 1===
Detect Magic
Entangle
Faerie Fire
Invisibility to Animals
===Level 2===
Barkskin
Cause Light Wounds
Charm Person
Cure Light Wounds
Hold Animal
===Level 3===
Cure Disease
Neutralize Poison
Poison
Protection from Fire
===Level 4===
Animal Summoning I
Cause Serious Wounds
Cure Serious Wounds
Dispel Magic
===Level 5===
Animal Summoning II
Insect Plague
Sticks to Snakes
===Level 6===
Animal Summoning III
Cause Critical Wounds
Conjure Fire Elemental
Cure Critical Wounds
Feeblemind
===Level 7===
Confusion
Conjure Earth Elemental
Old 01-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
nologgie
Dungeon Master

From 1e PHB

Readable status spells (Require designer incorporation of options)
Comprehend Languages (M1)
Tongues (C4, M3)
Speak With Dead (C3) (maybe)
Speak With Monsters (C6) (maybe)

Specab Spells
Water Breathing (D3, M3) (Immune to Damage Type - Drowning)
Airy Water (M5) (Immune to Damage Type - Drowning, Area)
True Seeing (C5) (Specab, includes det traps, see invisible)
Control Temperature 10' Radius (D4) (Resistant to Heat/Cold)
Spider Climb (M1) (Thief - Climb Walls)

Self Casting Specab(?) (While memorized, until used)
Feather Fall (Immune to Damage Type - Falling/Gravity)

More Straightforward Spells

Cleric Level 1
Remove Fear

Cleric Level 3
Animate Dead (If workable)
Glyph of Warding (If workable)

Cleric Level 5
Plane Shift (for dumping opponents)

Cleric Level 6
Word of Recall (If workable)
Conjure Animals

Cleric Level 7
Gate? (If workable)
(Un)Holy Word

Druid Level 1
Detect Snares & Pits
Shillelagh (If workable)

Druid Level 2
Fire Trap (If workable)
Heat Metal (variant)

Druid Level 3
Snare
Summon insects

Druid Level 4
Hold Plant
Produce Fire (damage aspect)
Protection From Lightning

Druid Level 5
Anti-Plant Shell
Snakes to Sticks
Wall of Fire

Druid Level 6
Anti-Animal Shell
Fire Seeds

Druid Level 7
Animate Rock (Golem-ish)
Creeping Doom
Finger Of Death
Fire Storm

Mage Level 1
Identify (If it can cost 1 gem or 100gp pearl)

Mage Level 2
Web
Wizard Lock (If workable)

Mage Level 4
Enchanted Weapon (If Shillelagh works)
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer (If workable)
Fire Trap (as D2)

Mage Level 5
Animate Dead
Conjure Elemental

Mage Level 6
Anti-Magic Shell
------------------------
I like passwall, Rock to Mud, & Dig for dungeon use.
Walls of Iron, Stone, and Force are great for camping.
Unfortunately, I don't see how to incorporate them.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

How about the 7th level cleric spell/9th level magic-user spell, Gate?

One of the 2e spells that I DID like was Conjure Phoenix (or Summon Phoenix, whatever it was called), which was a 6th level druid spell (or priest spell), if I remember correctly. Barring that, maybe we can summon phoenixes with Gate instead

Of course, Gate is a very free spell, so it may be hard to specify rules for what to summon exactly (demons? planetars? gods?), and whether it will be helpful, neutral, or hostile...

Also, note that the druid ability to summon other types of elementals at high levels is not really explained very well in Unearthed Arcana - there are two possibilities, I guess:

1. The abilities can be used to modify a casting of either Conjure Fire Elemental or Conjure Earth Elemental (note that their ability to conjure fire or earth elementals is not listed) into a Water Elemental, Air Elemental, Paraelemental, and so on. Trying to conjure any type of elemental/paraelemental rolls on the tables given for druids in Unearthed Arcana, + or - the level of the druid (they can try to choose what they want to summon).
2. Druids are granted equivalent spells of Conjure Water Elemental, Conjure Air Elemental, Conjure Ice Para-elemental, and so on. (This was sort of the method chosen by later 2e incarnations, although not exactly in this case.) We do have to choose whether the spells are 6th level or 7th level, though.

My Blog: