Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Folks,

Several questions for someone who is experienced at this.

1.) Has anyone out there installed everything (IWD/HOW or, especially, IWD/HOW/TOTL) and gotten it to work with a "noCD fix," so that no CD is needed to play?

2.) What is a good fix to use? What fix(es) is(are) needed?

3.) Any "glitchy" play because of such a fix?

Editorial comment: I **HATE** it when I have to hunt down my CDs to plaay a game! I have two small, curious, somewhat slobbery and destructive children, and a wife who is somewhat jealous of my time, all on the prowl for my game CDs. Sometimes I have to bring them to work just to keep them safe. It is a royal pain to manage my CDs in a manner that keeps them safe *AND* assures that I can spontaneously put in a half hour here or there. A solution that allows me to just keep them safely tucked away at my work desk would be great! (No, I can't play IWD on my work computer: loading personal games on company computer = getting fired.)

Regards,

I
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:23 PM   #2
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

I also hate having to insert a CD to play a game. I play a lot of different games and can't imagine how tedious it would get having to change them out every time.

But to answer your question, I have been using the no CD for a while (with both HoW and ToTL) just fine. gamecopyworld.com should have what you need.

I hope no anal-retentive people come in here spouting their crap about 'warez.' This is perfectly legal if you BOUGHT and OWN the game. Jeez, lighten up people.
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 08:02 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Jonni,

Thanks a bunch!

"No CD" posts are legal. (Thank you to the runners of this forum for their understanding regarding this subject.)

Speaking of anal-retentive, I need to get a "No CD" fix for Diablo II. Sometimes it takes me 5 tries to get the game to play. All the while, Diablo's copy protection scheme is putting my CD player through all sorts of gyrations.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:22 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

For anyone who might be interested,

I took Jonni Voodoo's advice, and executed the following steps, in order:

1.) Buy HoW.
2.) Download ToTL (72MB -> a high speed connection really helps).
3.) Download "No-CD fix" for ToTL. (I burned it onto a CD with ToTL.)
4.) Make sure that I have done the FULL install of IWD.
5.) Do a FULL install of HoW over IWD.
6.) Configure game to what I want, per instructions in the HoW manual and the configuration program.
7.) Install ToTL over HoW.
8.) Save a back-up copy of the main IWD ".exe" file, just in case. (I think it's "iwdmain.exe" or something like that.)
9.) Install HoW/ToTL "No-CD fix" over ToTL.

And then I put all 4 of my IWD-related CDs in a very safe place and started gaming! This has worked great: I've put in about 16 hours of "No-CD" gaming in the Vale, over the course of this last week, on 1024x768 resolution, with absolutely no glitches, "gotchas," lock-ups, nor "weird" gameplay. This actually works!