Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   NoCD fix for IWD with HOW and TOTL installed (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22476)

NobleNick 02-06-2002 04:54 PM

Folks,

Several questions for someone who is experienced at this.

1.) Has anyone out there installed everything (IWD/HOW or, especially, IWD/HOW/TOTL) and gotten it to work with a "noCD fix," so that no CD is needed to play?

2.) What is a good fix to use? What fix(es) is(are) needed?

3.) Any "glitchy" play because of such a fix?

Editorial comment: I **HATE** it when I have to hunt down my CDs to plaay a game! I have two small, curious, somewhat slobbery and destructive children, and a wife who is somewhat jealous of my time, all on the prowl for my game CDs. Sometimes I have to bring them to work just to keep them safe. It is a royal pain to manage my CDs in a manner that keeps them safe *AND* assures that I can spontaneously put in a half hour here or there. A solution that allows me to just keep them safely tucked away at my work desk would be great! (No, I can't play IWD on my work computer: loading personal games on company computer = getting fired.)

Regards,

I

Jonni Voodoo 02-06-2002 07:23 PM

I also hate having to insert a CD to play a game. I play a lot of different games and can't imagine how tedious it would get having to change them out every time.

But to answer your question, I have been using the no CD for a while (with both HoW and ToTL) just fine. gamecopyworld.com should have what you need.

I hope no anal-retentive people come in here spouting their crap about 'warez.' This is perfectly legal if you BOUGHT and OWN the game. Jeez, lighten up people.

NobleNick 02-06-2002 08:02 PM

Jonni,

Thanks a bunch!

"No CD" posts are legal. (Thank you to the runners of this forum for their understanding regarding this subject.)

Speaking of anal-retentive, I need to get a "No CD" fix for Diablo II. Sometimes it takes me 5 tries to get the game to play. All the while, Diablo's copy protection scheme is putting my CD player through all sorts of gyrations.

NobleNick 02-13-2002 01:22 PM

For anyone who might be interested,

I took Jonni Voodoo's advice, and executed the following steps, in order:

1.) Buy HoW.
2.) Download ToTL (72MB -> a high speed connection really helps).
3.) Download "No-CD fix" for ToTL. (I burned it onto a CD with ToTL.)
4.) Make sure that I have done the FULL install of IWD.
5.) Do a FULL install of HoW over IWD.
6.) Configure game to what I want, per instructions in the HoW manual and the configuration program.
7.) Install ToTL over HoW.
8.) Save a back-up copy of the main IWD ".exe" file, just in case. (I think it's "iwdmain.exe" or something like that.)
9.) Install HoW/ToTL "No-CD fix" over ToTL.

And then I put all 4 of my IWD-related CDs in a very safe place and started gaming! This has worked great: I've put in about 16 hours of "No-CD" gaming in the Vale, over the course of this last week, on 1024x768 resolution, with absolutely no glitches, "gotchas," lock-ups, nor "weird" gameplay. This actually works!