Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hi guys,

My problem is that B&W will not install on my XP machine. Well, actually,
it does seem to install, but then it won't run. (I get the starting B&W intro screen that doesn't quite fill the monitor screen, then nothing more happens.) I have trying installing/running in Win95 mode, and various display settings, using the windows intaller to try to get around the auto installer, too: no luck.

Yeah, yeah, the manufacturer says it shouldn't work, and that they don't support XP; BUT I know some folks are getting it to run, and I would like to do so, too.

I have a high end Hewlitt Packard machine that I got from COSTCO, about 15 months ago: should have plenty of power to run this SW.

Anyone had this problem and overcome it?
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Ayum; I have XP and B&W, and I have no problems. I've tweaked nothing, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

B&W2 is coming out soon, and that is sure to support XP.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
Zero Alpha

ive got the same problem. i tried the patch but all that did was give me an error 'cant find p5.dll'

i spect were doomed not to play it. i wouldnt mind but quake 3 stopped working too
Old 07-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Thank you, Nanobyte and Zero Alpha,

This is a bump, to see if anyone else out there has experienced problems with B&W on XP AND has gotten it to work. Anyone?
Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Time for another bump, since I **STILL** haven't gotten B&W to work on my XP machine.

Has anyone else out there has experienced problems with B&W on XP AND has gotten it to work. Anyone?
Old 08-19-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Have you tried the 1.30 patch? I know zero_alpha has since he gets the error message your after. Now when you've installed the patch you need to download the 'p5dll.dll' file as well. Luckily it's available on the net. Try here for instance. Save the dll file in your Windows/System folder and the game should run. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 09:10 AM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Willow,

Thank you for the link and for... re-spinning my gyros!

No, I hadn't tried the patch, because (I hope) I mis-interpreted Zero Alpha's post: Although he said he "had the same problem," I discounted that, because I interpreted his very next words to be a description of that problem (which was not the same as mine), and not a description of what happened when he tried to solve it.

Duh.

O.K., I'll try this and report back on results. (Could be a few weeks or more, since I won't start something that has a high probability of becoming a computer troubleshooting session unless I have a 3 hour block of time to do it.)

Regards,
Old 09-15-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I'd try:

a) Windows XP update
b) Graphics card drivers update (most likely cause of problem)
c) B&W reinstall/most recent patch

That should solve the problem.