Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2001, 11:51 AM   #1
Bristowe
Elminster

Hey people, this sorta question has probably been around for ages and i know... but... Who should i take into my party? And i'm trying to keep ToB in mind as well...
So far it's
Me - Ranger/Stalker
My own assassin
Viconia
Edwin

now, the last two characters COULD be:
Keldorn
Jaheira
Imoen

Who should i take? i mean, i really feel obliged to take imoen cos she's your sister and she's a pretty decent mage. Same way about jaheira and she will be good in ToB where druids get better powers etc. But i also want K. cos he's a good fighter + that awesome dispel magic up his sleeve...aargggh any one got any suggestions? pls?

------------------

Bristowe, Master Assassin
"Everyone dies sooner or later, why not sooner?"
Old 06-08-2001, 12:03 PM   #2
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Trying to stick Keldorn into a party with Edwin and Viconia is just asking for trouble! Putting characters of totally opposite alignments into the same party is not a good idea as they will argue and eventually leave or even fight.
Old 06-08-2001, 12:24 PM   #3
Bristowe
Elminster

Mhmm...that would certainly fix my problem eh? Dammit...oh well, i havn't saved imoen yet so we'll see what happens....

------------------

Bristowe, Master Assassin
"Everyone dies sooner or later, why not sooner?"
Old 06-08-2001, 12:54 PM   #4
Artemis
Dungeon Master

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
First: Let's watch the spoilers folks...some people might not have gotten to the part in the game where they realize that Imoen is your sister. Although it's pretty obvious from early on...but the main point of this board is to help people, not to ruin that first time game. If you are going to use spoiler info to make a point, just label it at the beginning so people can avoid it if they want. Nothing is a bigger bummer than reading along happily, getting some good advice, and BAM, somebody tells you something that happens two chapters later and ruins the suspense.

Now on to your question...I don't think you can bring on Keldorn with what seems to be a fundamentally evil party, you're asking for a fight. Sad, but true. Keldorn is a lawful good paladin, and Edwin is just evil, so they'll eventually have issues. Although you could make an argument that Viconia is only 'evil' due to being a Drow, and that her nature and being an outcast from the Drow is evidence that she is not evil, Keldorn can't see beyond that. As an evil party, I'd pick up Korgan as you need another front-liner and he's the best tank in the game. Then I'd strongly consider Imoen, although she's technically 'good', she's your sister and childhood buddy, so won't leave no matter what you do. After Edwin, she's the best mage in the game, so you'll be very mage strong if that's what you want. Also consider Jaheira, who, as you point out, will benefit from the druid upgrade in TOB. I think she's a good back-up tank because of the high AC you can get with her. Her druid spell insect swarm is the best anti-mage spell in the game. I also like giving her that sling (can't remember name) which allows for strength damage and putting one of the strength enhancing items on her (i'm using girdle of frost giant strength). Best missile combination in the game short of having an archer as the principal character. Haste her and she's a freaking Gatling gun doling out major damage around the board.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Artemis (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001, 01:50 PM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'd take neither of your options. I'd take Korgan and Haer'dalis (or maybe substitute Jaheira...but I *hate* Jaheira).

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-08-2001, 02:11 PM   #6
Leagle
Manshoon

Korgan, for a good fighter and/or Imoen.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:30 PM   #7
Artemis
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
I'd take neither of your options. I'd take Korgan and Haer'dalis (or maybe substitute Jaheira...but I *hate* Jaheira).

I'm curious, why do you like Haer'dalis? I haven't played with him at all but he looks kind of wimpy to me. Maybe I just don't know how to play him
Old 06-08-2001, 03:42 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:

I'm curious, why do you like Haer'dalis? I haven't played with him at all but he looks kind of wimpy to me. Maybe I just don't know how to play him
Know how to *play* him?

LOL! HaerDelis can be a good addition if you like his multiple usefulness, i.e. as a spellcaster, pickpocket, fighter etc. but he will never excel at anything that he does. If you like variety in a character, he's pretty decent. If you're looking for a tank or a super mage, stay away from him.
I'd go for Jaheira anytime... one of the best NPCs in the game IMO...
Two words: Creeping Doom. And if you're not high enough in levels, Insect plague is a real magekiller as well Plus she can be an amazing tank when decently equipped (try Gorgon Plate, Sentinel Shield, Blackblood Club, a decent helmet, good rings and cloak, gloves of Ogre Power....she also kicks ass when using the Spear of Impaling [gosh... another of those risque terms ] which does a whopping +10 piercing damage)

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia