Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2002, 11:59 PM   #1
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Is there a way to import characters from Icewind Dale to Heart of Winter? The main reason I wanted HoW, was so that I could use my ID characters again.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Two ways.

1) Load up a save game and go to the character screen. Click on the Export button and save your character(s). Start a new HoW game and import them.

2) Complete the IWD game, your characters will automatically be saved in the character list. Start a new HoW game and import them.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:31 AM   #3
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

I did complete IWD with 2 different groups (several times) and exported them. But when I put those files into the character folder of HoW it still didn't show those as being able to import.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:45 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Strange that they don't show up at all. You should be able to open an old game, export to the character list, and import them as needed when you start a new game with the HoW expansion.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:06 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ornery One:
I did complete IWD with 2 different groups (several times) and exported them. But when I put those files into the character folder of HoW it still didn't show those as being able to import.
Hmmmmm? You do not need to copy and paste anything. When you export a character, it is automatically saved in the following directory,

C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\characters

EDIT] Grammar.

[ 11-08-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 11-08-2002, 07:43 AM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Exactly Dundee. I don't understand what additional actions are performed on an exported character, but for whatever reason, The Ornery One can't Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V them into that folder. There isn't too much additional work just going into the game and exporting them the regular way however.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

If you did complete it twice the second group will have overwritten the first group file unless you renamed it. So when you start a standalone HoW game it will say something like "We see you have completerd IWD would you like to import your characters into HoW." Just say yes.

Dundee is correct, you should have no need to cut and paste anything. Unless of course you originally uninstalled IWD and have your characters saved elsewhere for safe keeping. HoW uses the same file system and reuses most of the existing IWD files to run, just think of it as an upgrade to an existing application.

[ 11-08-2002, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

I'd exported each of the characters (by name) when it was near the end of the game (just in case).
My computer crashed a few months ago and I was barely able to get into it enough to get to the character files and same them to disk. Then I had to completely redo my computer, wiping out all programs. Meaning that I had to add the game programs again, but IWD was borrowed, so I couldn't put that back in. The character files for Balder's Gate imported back into that game with no problem, but for some reason the IWD characters still won't import into HoW.
Maybe if one of you would let me send you the files for a couple of my characters, you can see if they work for you (meaning the problem would be with my computer or my HoW folders.

[ 11-08-2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: The Ornery One ]
The Ornery One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:22 AM   #9
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Just found this: http://icewind2.blackisle.com/faq.html

Q: Can I bring my characters from Icewind Dale?
A: No. Icewind Dale II takes place a generation after the events in the original Icewind Dale game.

Have any of you been able to somehow import yours, or did you all start with new characters?
The Ornery One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:49 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Heart of Winter is not Icewind Dale II! HoW is the expansion to IWD1, while IWD2 is the sequel.

Feel free to send your character files in a WinZip, and I will try to see if I can import them. If successful, I will e-mail you back the save game in a WinZip.