Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I've been watching all sorts of horror flicks from the popular and original Nightmare on Elm Street to movies that were supposed to be "scary" like The Others that is supposed to be based on the old type of horror that was supposed to scare people. Do you all think that the new type of horror like hacking off limbs with scary suspenseful music is a lot more scary or would you rather watch an old type of horror that really doesn't revolve around around limb hacking?

Seriously though, there was only one scene in The Others that was freaky to me...

"But Ma, I am your daughter..." Ehh, scary old grandma [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 AM   #2
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

I am admittedly not a big fan of horror films, old or new, as they almost always seem far too predictable. But I will say that one of the most scariest films that I have seen recently is, "The Mothman Prophecies". It is kind of a new age science fiction film with a realistic horror feel to it. In fact I was so frickin scared after watching it, that the next morning when I took a shower and was forced to close my eyes (due to shampooing), I started getting goosebumps all over and had grab my towell to wipe my eyes before I was even finished. And I am not scared very easily.
I guess the only scary movies that I do like are the ones that provoke some new or different thought, with a pinch of reality.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:16 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Dont like the gore stuff at all. Its not scary just sick [img]graemlins/gore.gif[/img]

but some of the scariest movies are not horror films at all. Check this link to the Ironworks movie forum.
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000913;p =3

[img]graemlins/starwars.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/matrix.gif[/img]

[ 03-11-2003, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]
Old 03-11-2003, 05:59 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I like a good thriller, i don't mind the gore either, but most horror movies are just plain dumb. There's not even a good storyline, and if there is one, it always kinda looks familiar. Movies like Hellraiser, Halloween, Friday the 13th, i've seen em all, but i really don't like them very much at all. They're boring.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:10 AM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I will have to say though that the scariest movie I've ever seen is the Prince of Darkness. It may have been may way back when, but it was very realistic with a good storyline in behind it. Scariest part was when they played the message and showed a dark figure descending from the distance, if you've seen it you'll know what I mean.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV:
I am admittedly not a big fan of horror films, old or new, as they almost always seem far too predictable. But I will say that one of the most scariest films that I have seen recently is, "The Mothman Prophecies". It is kind of a new age science fiction film with a realistic horror feel to it. In fact I was so frickin scared after watching it, that the next morning when I took a shower and was forced to close my eyes (due to shampooing), I started getting goosebumps all over and had grab my towell to wipe my eyes before I was even finished. And I am not scared very easily.
I guess the only scary movies that I do like are the ones that provoke some new or different thought, with a pinch of reality.
Dude the Mothman isn't science fiction, he's real... He's been seen all over the world, the Pleasent Hill place was only part of his many incounters, and the "spooky" voice over the phone wasn't the mothman, remember that, that spooky voice was Ingred Cold... [img]tongue.gif[/img] a completley DIFFERINT freakish thing that happened at the time. They also didnt show the UFOs that had been spotted but belive me, the way it works out, Ingred was able to predict the future, he could come through sinks and bathroom mirrors, he liked to steal pens from people and generally looked like a short asian man, with clothing that belonged 2 decades ago, sort of like a "man in black" only this guy was nuts... Oh and on top of all this, the bridge collapsed killing people, yes that happened too, and since then the mothman dissapeared, but he has recently been seen in Nairobe, Quebeck, Chile, France, Moscow, New York City, and Tokyo, not that Freaky stuff in those places isn't frequent to happen anyway... [img]tongue.gif[/img] I guess it was scarier to have a "faceless" ingred cold, it made it look like the mothman was ingred tho, the mothman was differint, he chased people around and stared at them with his big glowing red eyes, these not only caused eye damage but instilled absolute fear.

if you want more Mothman info then check this site out
Old 03-11-2003, 09:11 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

I am not into gory slasher films at all - but I like a nice suspenseful supernatural tale.

And if we're talking *old* horror pics, I particularly like 'Nosferatu, eine Symphony des Grauens' (1922); 'Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari' (1920); Häxan (1922); and films by Tod Browning, who was making horror films between 1914 and 1939 - probably his most famous was the 1932 film, 'Freaks'

The thing that I like about silent horror movies is that because obviously there's no dialogue, the imagery used to build suspense is amazing. Who cannot love the shadow of Nosferatu's clawed hands moving across the wall? The weird out-of-perspective scenery in Doktor Caligari? Pure class.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #8
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Hey Deathkiller, it has honestly been close to a year since I saw that film and I must confess, it forced me to start thinking a little bit differently. However it has been many months since I have given the whole, "Mothman thing" any thought, and in that time I have been goosebump-free! So without any offense, I will simply call it a, DARN SCARY STORY!
But hey, that is a pretty cool web site.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I thought The Others was excellent. The buildup, the tension. This is true horror. [img]graemlins/gore.gif[/img] is not horror - it's simply gore. Now, some gore-based films also have horror: the first Nightmare on Elm Street is a good example.

But, most of the group-of-teenagers-alone-in-woods-with-sex-and-gore movies just don't do it for me. Except for humor, of course, like in Friday the 13th Pt. 7 where Jason kills these kids in a sleeping bag by picking the bag up and slamming it into a tree Babe Ruth style.

True horror is about internal realization. In The Others, I only realized the "truth" at the end about 2 mins. before the character did. It all fell together so perfectly, so horribly. It was a great flick among great flicks.

I've made a note to see Mothman now that I've read this thread.

Frailty ROCKS!!!!! Great horror. See it.

So, yeah, I like the old style. True gothic. Stoker's Dracula, Shelley's Frankenstein. Frankenstein, for instance, is more about the monster's internal struggle and realizations, as juxtaposed with those of the creator, than it is anything else. It is the horrible dichotomy of human existence, made vivid symbol in the ice and snow scenes (ice looks light and warm yet is truly cold and dark), that contains the horror of Frankenstein.

"Just like Mary Shelley. Just like Frankenstein. Break your chains, make the change, and try to walk that line." Grateful Dead: Rambling Rose
Old 03-11-2003, 03:24 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting topic, as I have an experience to share.

When I was in my teens, I used to watch every movie I could. I was so used to horror movies, that they didn't phase me. I was just immune to them. Well, I have been married now for about four years I guess, and before that I lived in Mexico for two years. All this time, I have not seen any of the "newer" horror movies. Mostly because my wife will not let me rent them. Well...last night, my wife was not at home, as she went to visit her sister. She took MaryBeth with her. I had heard alot of good review about "the Ring", so I rented it. Bad mistake. After watching that movie, I was so scared at home all alone at night that I knew I was going to get killed by something! I didn't even go to bed last night! ROFL! It really freaked me out. Everytime I closed my eyes, I would see that movie!