Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
Buckthor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello again.This info goes with my last post.My computer is an Aptiva E-series 175...AMD K6-2 W/3D now...64 megs of RAM....400mgh.....40xCD rom......DirectX 7.0...Windows 98....4.0 gig hard drive...1,200 virtual mem. left to use.Again thank you for any help that is given.
Buckthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the details, Buckthor, that should help!

Now I'm not one of the techie gurus around here but I'll make a couple of suggestions and hopefully someone who really knows what they are talking about will come along soon and give you some real answers.

Have you checked for all the latest drivers?

Are you running the game in software mode?

Any possibility that you could upgrade your RAM to better than 64? RAM is not as expensive as it once was and it certainly helps a lot to have extra RAM. I never configure a computer with less than 256.

The rest all seems fine - Win 98, DX7 those are both ideal.. so I'm thinking it's a RAM problem.

Hope that helps and/or that someone else comes along and gives you and answer!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:42 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yep, 64MB of RAM is darn puny these days... more never hurts (well, almost never). My rule of thumb: there shall never be more memory on the video card than in the computer.

You might also check either the Techie thread or the best tips thread. Seems to me there might be something in one of 'em about stopping all other Windows background programs before running W&W. That will free up even more memory.

A bit of memory trivia: the composition of memory has changed over the years, so if your machine is old enough, today's memory may not work. I've got a P-233MMX around here with just 64MB, 'cause nothing else is recognized. Time to head to the swap meets...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote