Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Hey guys. Posting form school. In my Agriculture class I am giving a speech... about Twinkies. ( www.twinkiesproject.com ) More so over the Twinkie Project. Anyway. I finished the speech, but I'm not happy with it, Mr. Harrington and some other teachers game me some advice. I've decided to re-do the entire thing. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me a few suggestions/tips/advice/do it for me. If it would help I can post the speech.

[ 02-09-2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: SomeGuy ]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Lady Sedai
Banned User

I'm sure many here (including myself) would be more than happy to offer you some constructive criticism/advice to help you improve your presentation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I won't do it *for* you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Post it up so we can take a look-see at what you've got. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Hmm... Speeches... I just came back from school being a spokesperson fo a group of British teachers, and I think I can lend you a few tips. First, noone likes long, dry speeches that are only to the point. Add humor, add feeling, it doesn't matter what subject you're presenting. If you're forced to improvise, say the very first thing that comes to mind. Emphasize the meaning of a sentence, not the structure. And never, never look in a blank spot on the wall. Eye contact with just one person in the group will make the whole group feel like you're talking to them all, and will help them listen. Just don't stare at one person for more than 10 seconds or more.
Hmm... I think that's about all you need to know for now- Maybe I'll post more later.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hiya SomeSweetGuy! I'm sure, alot of people here would help. That's the kind of place IW is! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Something that helps for me is know the speech nearly by heart in a way that you know what you'll say and that you've practiced how you could say it but not so much that you'll don't know what to say if you say it a little bit different. If you're allowed keep all your text with you so you feel a bit more sure. Unless it's not the problem. Always try to keep talking.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Did you speak from a script, palm cards, or by heart? Did you have visual aids (e.g., overhead transparencies, powerpoint slideshow)? Was it the content or your delivery that was the problem?

The best speeches are not read from scripts or learnt word for word by heart. This sounds staged and can be very boring. It is most interesting for your audience, and actually the easiest for you, to know lots about your topic and have general points that you want to make that you can speak on, rather than preparing every sentence word for word. It's easy to get flustered and if you only know prepared sentences, if you forget exactly what the next line is, you can be really screwed. If you know generally what it's all about you can easily recover if you lose concentration, or are interrupted by a question or something. It's also hard to write a speech that doesn't sound like you've written it, because we tend to use much longer sentences when writing than speaking, and different vocabulary - if you just have points you want to make and speak about them you will sound much more natural.

If you have visual aids, they should never have full sentences on them and you should never just read directly from them. Slides should have the general points - the essence of what you're talking about - which helps you remember, and gives the audience direction, and you elaborate. If you can put information on a slide in diagramatic or tabular form, that is always easier and more interesting for the audience as well.

If you're doing quite a long speech, or have a few different sections, it's useful to do summaries of what you've talked about so far throughout, to remind the audience of where you've been and where you're going next. Of course it's also really important to have a clear introduction so the audience knows exactly what you'll be talking about and what points you're going to make. There's nothing worse than listening to a speech when you have no idea where they're going with it.

Hope that's useful [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Spirits forever

my advice is...don't chew bublegum while presenting..i learnt this the hard way [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

It is also good to try to identify your own style. It can be difficult to do, and it can't really be taught, but a apeech delivered at the correct speed with the correct rhthym, using appropriate oratory devices can be very interesting to listen to. Its the difference between a well written, original essay and those that follow guide lines or writting frames. They can help greatly, but ultimately impead the very best performance.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Hiya SomeSweetGuy! I'm sure, alot of people here would help. That's the kind of place IW is!
A lot of people, but not you, cos you're just posting the one-liner to continue the SpamQueen legacy [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Speaking of speeches, I'm doing one tomorrow too. It's for a project (involving the next generation of wireless networking technologies - nyah nyah I know what you guys'll be using in 5 years' time [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). It's kinda scary cos we're going to London for it with some people from my research group and I've gotta do this speech about a technical subject to all the other partners (some are professors!, some industry partners). I should be ok though, as I know what I'm talking about - although I do tend to do the staring at a blank spot on the wall thing that Bozo said not to do It makes it easier to continue if you're not worried about how bored or shocked whatever the audience looks.

Also, as Aelia said NEVER try to learn the speech by heart. Have slides if it's a presentation or notes if it's a "speech speech". Use them as guides, but role-play your way through the whole thing. Know the subject, then it doesn't matter what you say, it'll be correct This is what I do - I practice a speech before I give it, but it's slightly different each time I give it as I think of stuff on the spot etc.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Know what your talking about, and don't read word-for-word off the sheet. Make lots of eye contact. And make sure that it's easy to understand, but not like Gr. 2 writing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote